Q. My dad is in coma now. What will be the prognosis?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 25, 2019

My dad is suffering from JE and both his thalamus are infected. Now, he is in coma. What is the prognosis of his condition?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you.

• There is considerable variation in the incidence and severity of sequelae in patients surviving viral encephalitis. The incidence and severity of sequelae were directly related to the age of the patient and the level of consciousness at the time of initiation of therapy.
  • Patients with severe neurologic impairment (Glasgow coma score 6) at initiation of therapy either died or survived with severe sequelae.
  • Young patients of less than 30 years with good neurologic function at initiation of therapy did substantially better (100% survival, 62% with no or mild sequelae) when compared with their older counterparts (>30 years; 64% survival, 57% no or mild sequelae).
  • Since your dad must be more than 30 years old and also since he is in coma, the chance of survival is 64%.
  • In other words, chance of him recovering completely is 57%, chance of him recovering, but have some problems like hemiplegia, speech disturbances, etc., is 7% and the chance of him not coming out of coma is 36%.

For further doubts consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|