Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. My dad is in coma now. What will be the prognosis?

Answered by
Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 25, 2019

Hello doctor,

My dad is suffering from JE and both his thalamus are infected. Now, he is in coma. What is the prognosis of his condition?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

Hi,

Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you.

  • There is considerable variation in the incidence and severity of sequelae in patients surviving viral encephalitis. The incidence and severity of sequelae were directly related to the age of the patient and the level of consciousness at the time of initiation of therapy.
  • Patients with severe neurologic impairment (Glasgow coma score 6) at initiation of therapy either died or survived with severe sequelae.
  • Young patients of less than 30 years with good neurologic function at initiation of therapy did substantially better (100% survival, 62% with no or mild sequelae) when compared with their older counterparts (>30 years; 64% survival, 57% no or mild sequelae).
  • Since your dad must be more than 30 years old and also since he is in coma, the chance of survival is 64%.
  • In other words, chance of him recovering completely is 57%, chance of him recovering, but have some problems like hemiplegia, speech disturbances, etc., is 7% and the chance of him not coming out of coma is 36%.

For further doubts consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist


Was this answer helpful?

 | 

Related Questions:
Will any of my regular medications cause tingling sensation of scalp?
What is Lyme disease?Will it cause joint pain and depression?
Why is my mom's health deteriorating even after undergoing treatment for anaplastic astrocytoma?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers


I am worried about palpitations.Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, Last Wednesday night, I got palpitations. I took Rivotril 5 mg and slept. Next day I rushed to my physician. He prescribed me Ciplar 10 mg tablet and advised me to take one tablet daily after breakfast. Palpitations did not happen from past three months. My doctor advised me to continue...  Read Full »

Also Read


COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»
I have redness in my eyes. How to stop it from getting redder?
Hello doctor,I am a 16-year-old boy. I have a problem with my eyes, and I had this problem for a very long time. I do no...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Neurologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.