Q. I have so much pain under my ear that my neck muscles are throbbing. Why?

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 20, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 20, 2022

My neck muscles are throbbing to the point I cannot go to sleep. It is just under the ear. I have looked it up, and it is my pituitary glands. My co-worker has symptoms of whooping cough, but I have been vaccinated in the last year. I had a cough and then feeling generally unwell. Now I have got unbelievable pain in certain parts of my body that will not subside. Mostly my hands and under my feet. What is this?

Kindly help.

#

I have reviewed your case and want to add here that it does not seem to be the pituitary gland that is causing the issues. I am sure about this as pituitary is not located in this area. So, be calm. You had cough and there is general fatigue too. This means there is something wrong with your throat or upper respiratory areas. This can be a viral infection and that spreads from person to person very easily. The area that is hurting maybe your lymph nodes under the ear and chin. They are swollen and very painful when there is an infection of the area of their drainage. You need to consult a physician right away so that he may have a look at your upper respiratory system. If needed he may refer you to an ENT specialist for proper evaluation. Some blood work may also be needed in this regard. Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask more if you need further assistance.

|