Q. I have severe pain in the lower abdomen and testicle swelling. Could you please give your opinion?

Dr. Yousef Abbas

I was suffering from severe pain in the lower abdomen and testicle swelling and pain. I ran to a urologist immediately and got an abdomen scan and scrotum scan done. It is mentioned that the left testis is enlarged, and no flow is seen on the Doppler. It is mentioned that epididymo-orchitis with mild hydrocele. I am taking prescribed antibiotics and painkillers. I can walk and sit, but swelling and pain in the testis still exist if I touch. Could you please help me with your opinion on this problem?

#

Good that you get in touch with us. I am sorry to learn about your condition.

I read your sonography report (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) very carefully, and I am not too happy with the diagnosis. An early cancerous process (which would be 99% curable) cannot be ruled out with these findings.

Therefore you have to get at least two sonographic follow-ups after ten days and 21 days (minimum).

In case the heterogenous lesion would still be there, a biopsy is mandatory to rule out testicular cancer.

It is urgent because this disease normally develops rapidly and can only be fully cured when treated in stage one.

I wish you good results.

Thank you so much for the detailed answer. I will do follow-up sonographies. Is my problem related to testicle torsion in any way?

#

Of course, such symptoms and findings can be the consequence of a traumatic effect on your testicles. However, a torsion is always caused by an event that you would remember. And even if this would be the case, just some antibiotics and pain medication would definitely not be the right treatment for the consequences of testicular torsion. And I get really nervous when I read about a heterogeneous structure in your testicle. This makes close follow-ups absolutely necessary. So please follow my recommendations for follow-up sonographies (doppler standard to see the blood flow). Maybe this time at another local urologist. A physician needs a very well-trained eye to get the right information from sonography. I am here if you need me. Be careful.

All the best.

|