Q. I have epiretinal membrane and floaters and flashing in eye. Is surgery necessary?

Dr. Prashant Koranmath
Published on Nov 20, 2019

I went in for a regular eye exam and told I have an epiretinal membrane. Last year I had floaters and flashing and went to a specialist who said all is fine. I went for new glasses and they told me I had an epiretinal membrane. I have an appointment next week with the specialist, but so worried I may need surgery. My husband passed away recently and a few weeks later my mother also passed away. I did the eye graph exam (from internet search and there is no distortion). Is this something I can live with or shall I have the surgery next year? I have no one to help me and may have help next year.

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

The epiretinal membrane will decrease you. There is a jelly-like substance in the eye and as age progresses it starts to liquify and you start seeing floaters. You should go to an ophthalmologist immediately in case if there is an increase in the number of these floaters or if you are seeing flashes of light. Because these are the signs of retinal detachment. Get your retina checked at least once a year.

Right now you have to ignore the floaters and you will get used to it. The surgery is only necessary if you have difficulty in seeing or retinal detachment or cataract. You can talk to your doctor about it and tell you are not comfortable going for surgery until next year. Next time you attach the reports given by your doctor it will be helpful for me.