Q. I am having trouble in having sex with my partner due to erectile dysfunction. What can I do?

Answered by
Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 25, 2022 and last reviewed on: Mar 07, 2022

Hello doctor,

I am 36 years old. I am unable to keep and as well get an erection. I have been having this issue from last month. I am not sure why this is happening. Please help.

Thank you.

# Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. Erectile dysfunction is the inability to get or keep an erection firm enough to have sexual intercourse. There are many causes of ED, including both physical and emotional conditions. They can be due to: 1) Diabetes. 2) Hypertension and Obesity. 3) Cardiovascular disease. 4) Side effects of a few medicines. 5) Hormonal imbalance, e.g., low testosterone. 6) Tobacco and alcohol use. 7) Sleep disorders, etc. 8) Anxiety, stress, depression, or other mental health conditions. 9) Relationship problem. Suffering from erectile dysfunction occasionally is common. It can happen mainly during stress, and there might be decreased sexual desire or trouble getting or maintaining an erection. But frequent ED can be a sign of health problems or emotional difficulties that need to be addressed and evaluated. I do not know any medical or related history to guide you, but I have mentioned the causes and how to assess your ED problem. You say that the ED problem was present last month and no medications history. It might be temporary, but the cause must be found through relevant medical history. Do you have any of the above physical or psychological reasons? If there is any underlying cause detected in your history, then treatment depends upon the underlying cause, and prescribing medication that helps manage the symptoms of ED. These medications can be prescribed only by the specialist doctor. If the reason is related to the psychological problem, talk or take psychological counseling. It would help if you visited a specialist doctor to address your issue as both physical and mental history are needed to find the cause and suggest treatment. I hope this helps. Thank you.

Thank you doctor,

I was stressed during the last couple of months. Also, I caught my back nerve while working out. Can that be an issue? Please help.



Welcome back to

I understand your concern. Stress is one of the psychological factors that could result in ED. It maybe is one of the reasons for your symptoms. It is the trauma to the pelvic blood vessels and nerves that can result in ED. A trapped nerve in your back related to the gym has to be examined. Examination means finding out which nerve got trapped by assessing signs and symptoms related to it, but you mentioned you had this problem means now it is completely fine and no problem at present. I do not think it could be related; however, it should be examined on visiting the doctor. I believe stress is the main reason for ED symptoms in your case if all the above physical causes are ruled out after taking your medical history. It would help if you found out the cause of stress and overcame the anxiety. Please do not ignore it. Talk to your doctor or, if needed, any counselor to address it. Your doctor may prescribe oral PDE5 inhibitors (phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitor) along with a stress-reduction technique. I would suggest you visit your primary care doctor to address it.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have no desire for sex. Is it because I use tobacco?

i masturbating quite roughly since 2years now i got weak errections my doubt is have i damaged corpus cavernosa(spongy tissue) or any other damage   Read full

Is erectile dysfunction related to my thyroid disease?

i masturbating quite roughly since 2years now i got weak errections my doubt is have i damaged corpus cavernosa(spongy tissue) or any other damage   Read full

How to improve my sex performance?

i masturbating quite roughly since 2years now i got weak errections my doubt is have i damaged corpus cavernosa(spongy tissue) or any other damage   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»
Importance of Sex Hormones - Types, Functions, Normal Ranges, and Roles
Sex hormones are steroids produced in the body that control sexual development, pregnancy, and overall health. Read belo...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.