Q. I am suffering from ED. How to correct it?

Dr. Surbhi Agrawal
Published on Jul 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am suffering from ED and PE, low libido for the past six years. Most of the medication that helps with erection including UpHold, Caverta, Pengra with and without the combination of depressant like Prodep 10 or 20 mg (without any sign of depression) have not helped me. I have even consulted psychologists and have not received any result. There is no obvious concern found during the physical test of the penis. My current medications are L-arginine, Horny goat weed, L-theanine. My blood report indicates:

1. FSH, LH, Serotonin, and Estradiol below normal.
  2. Testosterone and Dopamine within range.
  3. Prolactin on the higher side of the range.
  4. My pituitary MRI is absolutely normal.
  5. FSH 3.03 mIU/ml (Range: 1.5 to 12.4 mIU/ml).
  6. LH 2.80 mIU/ml (Range: 1.7 to 8.6 mIU/ml).
  7. Testosterone total: 458 ng/dl (Range: 249 to 836 ng/dl).
  8. Prolactin: 10.57 mg.ml (Range 2.64 to 13.13 mg.ml).
  9. Serotonin: 250 ng/ml (Range: 70 to 270 ng/ml).
  10. Dopamine: 29.6 pg/mL (Range: 0 to 30 pg/mL).

Dr. Surbhi Agrawal

Diabetology
#

All the tests done seems to be fine except vitamin D deficiency. It seems that you are now diabetic and diabetes is so closely associated with erectile dysfunction.

The treatment depends on the cause of erectile dysfunction. Some of the common causes are,

1. Diabetes.
  2. Prostate enlargement.
  3. Heart problems.
  4. Problems in low back affecting the lower back nerves.
  5. Low testosterone levels.

In this regard, I would like to advise you to get the following tests done and revert back with reports. Fasting and postprandial blood sugars, HbA1c, fasting thyroid profile, fasting lipid profile, serum vitamin D, and B12 levels. Once the cause is corrected, erectile dysfunction will resolve automatically. Also, it is important that there are no psychological factors affecting your sexual health. Make sure that you and your partner are completely ready for the sexual intercourse. You should also consult a sex therapist in person.

For more information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Is erectile dysfunction related to my thyroid disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 72-year-old male with a height of 5 feet 6 inches and a weight of 78 kg. I have been on Eltroxin 100 mcg and Amloz 5 mg for two years for hypothyroidism. I am feeling fatigued and have an intense appetite. I have lost fertility for the last one year. My ESR value is 41. I also ...  Read Full »

Would low testosterone affect erection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 33 years old. I never had sex and physically fit. I do not drink alcohol or smoke. My eating habit is healthy and I do not have much stress. I did my medical test three months back and found my testosterone level is below the minimum limit. I started eating vegetables and fruits, but...  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now