Q. I am severely anemic, and the right lymph node in my neck is painful. Is it cancer?

Dr. Shobhit Shah
Published on May 29, 2017

I am a 23 year old male, and I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, from the past five years. It is well controlled by Synthroid and natural thyroid. Over the last few months, I have been having some worrying symptoms. I am literally so tired all the time, and I am severely anemic even if I take iron daily. I forgot what my numbers were, but they were at the very bottom, and I eat healthily and workout thrice a week. No matter how much I sleep, I am so tired. I do feel better after the gym, but I have to drag myself there, and the workouts are feeling harder to do. I have been getting headaches a lot, and I currently have a painfully swollen lymph node in my right neck area. I am also sore and achy a lot. After doing some internet search, what stood out to me is leukemia or lymphoma. I know my white blood cell count was a little high, just a tiny bit and the doctor said that my body is just ready to fight an infection. But I think my last test was not normal. I think I might have cancer or something else seriously wrong.

Dr. Shobhit Shah

Internal Medicine
#

• Get a thyroid profile and complete hemogram done. Your symptoms are very vague and they do not point to any one disease.

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I have my reports, that I did at the beginning of the year, and the comparison from the past few as well. I will attach them.

Dr. Shobhit Shah

Internal Medicine
#

I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It is unlikely that you will have cancer. I would like the following information:
  1. Is there any family history?
  2. From how long are you having these symptoms?
  3. Is there any weight loss? If yes, then how much?
  4. What is the approximate size of the palpable lymph node? Is it hard and tender to touch?
  • Have a FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) of the lymph node.

Thank for the reply. I do not have weight loss, but I have a decreased appetite. I do not know my family history because I was adopted. I would say, the symptoms started seven months back, and they are getting worse. The lymph node is the size of my thumb tip. Is there anything else you see that could be going on?

Dr. Shobhit Shah

Internal Medicine
#

• Cervical tuberculosis is a possibility, but it is uncommon in your country. I suggest you either try a course of antibiotics for 10 days or have a FNAC of the lymph node.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Does thyroid problem delay pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old unmarried female. Before six months, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have been taking Thyronorm 100 mcg. Recently, I had TSH test and the level was 0.47 U/mL, which is considered as hyperthyroid. When my doctor asked me the previous dosage, by mistake I told her...  Read Full >>

Dr. Swaraj S W
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you follow the same dose as you are not a hyperthyroid yet. Also, if you are planning for your marriage and pregnancy, then this TSH value is normal.  If the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) value is less than 0.3 U/mL, then the dosage of tablet has to be red...  Read Full

Can thyroid problem cause excessive hair fall?

Query: Hi doctor, I have thyroid issues for the past three years. I got this when I was pregnant. I am taking Thyronorm 75 mcg tablet for the last three months. Recently, I have done the thyroid test and my T3 and T4 are normal and TSH is very low. It shows less than 0.01. What does it indicate? First, I w...  Read Full >>

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This appears to be due to over treatment or iatrogenic hyperthyroidism. Here is a list of symptoms experienced due to over treatment. They are tachycardia, palpitations, nervousness, tiredness, headache, excitability, sleeplessness, tremors, anxiety and heat intolerance. ...  Read Full

Cervical Cancer - Causes and Prevention

Article Overview: Estimates suggest that by 2025 more than 365 women will die due to cervical cancer everyday. Cervical cancer is caused by HPV (Human Papilloma Virus ) and mainly affects young women. Read Article

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

Trivia: Estimates suggest that by 2025 more than 365 women will die due to cervical cancer every day. Cervical cancer is the second largest cancer affecting women's health. What Causes Cervical Cancer? Cervical cancer is caused by HPV (Human Papilloma Virus ) and mainly affects young women. ...  Read Article