Q. My BP is high. Should I get checked for secondary hypertension?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 31, 2021

I was diagnosed with essential hypertension taking medicine for that. My BP is 146/92 mmHg. I do not have any symptoms. Should I get investigated to rule out secondary hypertension?

#

Yes certainly, you being a young hypertensive first need an evaluation to know the cause of blood pressure.

You should undergo a few tests like kidney function test, renal artery Doppler, serum cortisol and 24-hour urinary metanephrines. Also get lipid profile and sugars tested.

You should have a healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty, oily and high calorie diet.

Have low salt diet and monitor blood pressure regularly thrice a day for one week and then once or twice a week. If BP is persistently more than 140/90 mmHg, then you should be on medicines for it.

High blood pressure is a silent killer. It rarely causes symptoms, but keep on damaging your organs.

Do regular exercises like brisk walking, jogging according your capacity for at least 30 minutes a day and 5 days a week.

Eat lots of green leafy vegetables, fruits, and fish once or twice a week. Avoid meat, smoking, and alcohol if any. There should not be abdominal fat deposition or obesity.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|