Q. Ever since I got the Nexplanon implant, I have two periods every month. What to do?

Dr. Vidyaprem
I’ve been on nexplanon for a year after my first baby. Every since the implant I have 2 periods every month. Before I started birth control I was regular. I knew exactly when I was starting my period. Recently my doctor told me to take birth control pills while on nexaplanon to see if it would decrease my periods. I’ve been taking the pills for a week straight and my period has been on for 8 days which isn’t normal. My period is heavy, light, it’ll stop, then start again. I don’t know what I should do. I just want my period to go back to normal

Dr. Vidyaprem

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

dear welcome to iclinq. com

Implanon is associated with altered bleeding patterns. generally it settels by a year time... 15 to 17 percent may continue to have very heavy n long cycle after implanon( this is becos of the progestronic effect on endometrium) ... do take hematinics as heavy bleeding may result in anemia.. 1) continue the pills as advised by your gynec for a month and see for changes in pattern 2) If it does not reduce even after pills support you need to meet your gynec for alternative methods of contraception after removing it.. Regards

due to the hormonal( progestronic) effect of nexplanon on the endometrium

1) reassurance,2) hematinics, 3) To continue pills plus nexplanon ,x 1 month... 4).. Think about removal if it's too cumbersome..

|