Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. What should be done for fluttering sound in the ear?

Answered by
Dr. Mehak Agarwal
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 09, 2019

Hi doctor,

I am having a polyp in my sinus and have been suffering from frequent cold for a long time. Now, I am facing a fluttering sound in my ear. What should be done?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)


Welcome to

Generally, polyp in sinus needs to be removed. If ethmoidal polyp, then it can be treated with steroid spray.

Ear problem can or cannot be due to a polyp. You need to tell your complaint in detail. Sometimes, polyp can block the eustachian tube and ears and it can cause ringing or fluttering in the ear.

Kindly tell me in detail so that I can guide the treatment. If you have got a CT scan done, then you can send me or else you must get a CT scan PNS (paranasal sinus) done.

Revert back with detailed history to an ENT otolaryngologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

I am uploading the x-ray report for your reference.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)


Welcome back to

I have gone through the x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

X-ray report is suggestive of sinusitis. If you have sinusitis from long time , then you should undergo surgery. If you have it for less than three months, then you should take steroids (local spray) for one month.

Also get CT PNS done (non-contrast). X-ray is not very clear in case of the sinuses. CT is must as the x-ray gives a very vague diagnosis.

The polypoidal growth in x-ray might not be very clear and growth is due to sinusitis.

  • For ear, still your symptoms are not clear. If you have fluttering problem only due to cold and also pain, then it should be due to eustachian tube blockage.
  • You should do valsalva exercise regularly that is pinching nose and blowing air from the mouth into the ear. Also, you can use decongestants (nose drop) for five days.

For further doubts consult an ENT otolaryngologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I am hearing my breathing sound when I exhale hard. Is it normal?
I have a cold draining nose and body pain. Please help.
I have sinusitis and feel like something is stuck in my neck. What can be done?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Why do I have a raspy voice from childhood?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about my voice. As a kid, I had a raspy voice the entire time until puberty. After I hit puberty, I do not think my parents noticed anything, but people have said I sound like Kermit the frog or that I need to stop mumbling. The problem I have is that I have to try qu...  Read Full »

Why do I have headache, cold, and running nose?

Query: Hi doctor, From yesterday I have a headache, cold, and running nose. Please help me.  Read Full »

How to prevent sinusitis, dry nose and shivering during winters?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a recurring ailment that I usually get once or twice per winter. It starts with extreme shivering and overheating, but no fever. Day two usually involves a very dry nose, very low energy, and heightened sensitivity to touch or light. Days 3 to 5 usually involve more traditional...  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 and MIS-C (Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children)
MIS-C is a potentially fatal condition that affects children infected with COVID-19. Please read the article to know its...  Read more»
I have fever, severe headache, and cough. Please help me.
I have fever since five days. My fever comes down when I take medicine but eventually comes back. I also have severe hea...  Read more»
Brucellosis - Symptoms, Complications, Diagnosis, and Treatment
Brucellosis, a zoonosis, is caused by consuming unpasteurized milk or raw meat obtained from infected animals. For sympt...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an ENT Otolaryngologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.