Q. What should be done for fluttering sound in the ear?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 09, 2019

I am having a polyp in my sinus and have been suffering from frequent cold for a long time. Now, I am facing a fluttering sound in my ear. What should be done?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Generally, polyp in sinus needs to be removed. If ethmoidal polyp, then it can be treated with steroid spray.

Ear problem can or cannot be due to a polyp. You need to tell your complaint in detail. Sometimes, polyp can block the eustachian tube and ears and it can cause ringing or fluttering in the ear.

Kindly tell me in detail so that I can guide the treatment. If you have got a CT scan done, then you can send me or else you must get a CT scan PNS (paranasal sinus) done.

Revert back with detailed history to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

I am uploading the x-ray report for your reference.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I have gone through the x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

X-ray report is suggestive of sinusitis. If you have sinusitis from long time , then you should undergo surgery. If you have it for less than three months, then you should take steroids (local spray) for one month.

Also get CT PNS done (non-contrast). X-ray is not very clear in case of the sinuses. CT is must as the x-ray gives a very vague diagnosis.

The polypoidal growth in x-ray might not be very clear and growth is due to sinusitis.

• For ear, still your symptoms are not clear. If you have fluttering problem only due to cold and also pain, then it should be due to eustachian tube blockage.
  • You should do valsalva exercise regularly that is pinching nose and blowing air from the mouth into the ear. Also, you can use decongestants (nose drop) for five days.

For further doubts consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|