iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersOphthalmology (Eye Care)eye injuryWhy does my daughter has eye bleeding after a head injury?

What does it mean if the eye bleeds after a head injury?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At December 19, 2017
Reviewed AtFebruary 13, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

My daughter hit her head, and her eyes bleed. I cannot have access to an eye specialist since it is a weekend in my country. I want to know how dangerous this can be. What caused the eye to bleed? What else can I do until Monday when I take her to an eye specialist?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Vaswani


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Kindly tell me if the blood coming out of her eye or if it is collected in the white part of her eye, known as a subconjunctival hemorrhage. A picture of her eye would have been very helpful. If blood is oozing out of her eye, which is very less likely, kindly immediately rush her to an ophthalmologist or an emergency room. In the second situation, which is most likely the case, as long as her vision is not affected, you do not have to worry from her eyes point of view. But, the main concern should be the head injury. If the injury was so severe to cause a subconjunctival hemorrhage, the force was large. So, kindly consult a neurosurgeon and rule out a head injury cause it might appear late, and we should not take any chances.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

head injuryeye injury

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy