Q. Is it essential to get the rabies vaccine after being licked on an open wound by a pet puppy bitten by a neighbor's dog?

Dr. Shubadeep Debabrata Sinha

A dog bit my pet puppy. It is vaccinated already. But a neighbor's dog bit my puppy two days back. I forgot it and played with my pup, it licked my hands, and I already had an open healing bruise. Will I get rabies?? Should I get a rabies vaccination now?

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

First, clean the bruise licked by the puppy with soap and water and, if possible, with Povidone-Iodine solution afterward.

If your pet pup or neighbor's dog is vaccinated with the rabies vaccine for dogs, vaccinating you may not be required for you.

To be safe, rabies vaccination is preferable in case you are unsure.

The rabies vaccine needs to be taken as per the schedule below-

1) If you are previously not vaccinated-

A regimen of four 1 mL doses of HDCV (human diploid cell culture rabies vaccine) or PCEC (purified chick embryo cell) vaccines administered intramuscularly (IM).

The first dose of the four-dose course is to be administered as soon as possible after exposure. Subsequent doses will be administered on days 3, 7, and 14 after the first vaccination.

2) If you are previously vaccinated-

You should receive two intramuscular doses (1 mL each) of the vaccine, the first dose immediately and the second dose three days later.

For adults, the vaccination should always be administered intramuscularly in the arm.

|