Q. My vaccinated pet dog scratched me today. Should I get the rabies vaccination?

Dr. Kapil Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 02, 2020
I have scratched by my pet vaccinated dog today few hours ago. Also there was no bleeding in my hand. But there is some redness there. So guide me that it is still necessary to have ARV. Also before 5months ago i was vaccinated with arv when there is scratch of dog then .

Dr. Kapil Gupta

#

Hello.

Welcome to icliniq.

Although unvaccinated animals are more likely to transmit rabies, vaccinated animals can also do so if the vaccination of the biting animal was ineffective for any reason. A history of rabies vaccination in an animal is not always a guarantee that the biting animal is not rabid.

Animal vaccine failures may occur because of improper administration or poor quality of the vaccine, poor health status of the animal, and the fact that one vaccine dose does not always provide long-lasting protection against rabies infection in dogs/cats. The scratch on your skin comes under category II for post exposure prophylaxis for which anti rabies vaccine is indicated .

And although you have taken the vaccine 5 months before and your dog is also vaccinated there are very minimal chances of you or your dog having rabies but there is a very miniscule chance. But according to the guidelines you should get vaccinated again. Make sure to clean the area of scratch properly and thoroughly with soap and water.

Observe your pet for the next 10 days and see if it’s health deteriorates which if does would be a strong indication to get vaccinated.

Dog bite

Anti rabies vaccines

Wash the area thoroughly with soap and water

Follow up after 10 days

| 
1 out of 1 likes

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

When I bite, both sides teeth do not come in contact at the same time. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, About 2.5 years ago I put extreme pressure on my back teeth by mistake, and they are now slightly pushed into my gums. Just a week ago, I noticed my upper right wisdom tooth and the tooth next to it were growing a bit crooked, so I decided to move them back myself gradually. I started get...  Read Full »

I took antirabies vaccine only 13 days after a shrew mouse bite. Am I at risk?

Query: Hello doctor,I had taken two antirabies shots ten and three months back for a dog bite. A shrew that had entered the house bit me on my back two weeks back. There was no bleeding even on applying pressure on the area, but the next day I noticed a small clot on my back like the one we have after a sc...  Read Full »

I had a dog scratch. Do I need rabies vaccine?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a dog scratch. Stray dog accidently tripped over my legs and his foot bruised over mine. No cut, no blood. Do I need rabies vaccine?  Read Full »