Q. I have loss of appetite and dry lips after taking Adilip 135. Why?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Hello doctor.

I am 35 years old. My triglycerides are 628. I am taking Adilip 135. But since I have started taking the medicine I have lost my appetite i.e, I do not wish to eat anything and I am feeling heavy stomach always. Simultaneously, I am having extremely dried lips round the clock. I have started using Olive oil in my food. I take one glass of milk (dairy non-creamy) daily.

My diet is three chapatis in the morning, five chapatis in the noon, one bowl of roasted chooda in the evening, three to four chapatis at night and I glass of milk. I take approximately 1.5-2 liters of water in a day. Kindly suggest me why I am having dry lips and loss of appetite? Do I need to change my diet?

#

I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine concerns.

What about the family history of high cholesterol in your family? Is there family history of diabetes in your family? Is there heart disease history in family? Anybody in your family have diabetes? Are you a diabetic? If not ever got screened for diabetes? Do you have hypertension? If not, have you ever screened for it? Any other medications you are taking for any reason?
The symptoms you have may be due to:
Side effects of the Fenofibrate you are taking for hypertriglyceridemia. Diabetes also leads to the issues you have.

Fasting lipid profile. Fasting blood sugar levels.
(Do not just tell me the triglyceride levels. Make a picture of the reports, and please upload them in a follow up query along with the aforementioned asked details in the history).

Your best treatment is lifestyle modification. Add exercise in your routine life. Jogging for 10,000 steps at a healthy pace daily will lead to a fair decrease in your triglycerides levels.

Olive oil is also good. Canola oil is also a good option for cooking. But try to cook in non stick utensils without using more than a few drops of oil. No meats, fried food, fast and junk foods, beverages, alcohol, and cigarettes. No added salts and sugars. No spices and caffeinated drinks for you. Avoid cheese, yogurt, ketchup, etc. You need to change the diet. One chapati for breakfast and one for lunch, half chapati at dinner. You are taking extra diet. Our diet makes cholesterol. Not only fatty and oily meals lead to the production of cholesterol, but also the sugars, carbohydrates, and proteins (amino acids) also lead to the manufacture of de novo cholesterol through a metabolic process called metabolic cross-talk. Take salads, vegetables, and fruits. Fish is better for protein intake.

|