Q. Kindly tell me whether prenatal exposure to alcohol cause a short columella or not.

Dr. M. Pradeep Kumar
Published on Sep 14, 2019

Do you have experience with FAS/FASD? Can prenatal exposure to alcohol cause a short columella? Is this common in those with the affected face?

Dr. M. Pradeep Kumar

Clinical Genetics
#

We do see cases of fetal alcohol syndrome or fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Alcohol is a known teratogen for the human fetus. Consumption of alcohol during pregnancy is associated with abnormalities in the fetus. The problems can occur in many systems, most importantly facial changes, heart abnormalities, kidney abnormalities and neurological (structural or functional) abnormalities.

Three findings are common in facial abnormalities:

1. Smooth philtrum (a groove seen from the bottom of the nose to the upper lip will look flat).

2. Thin upper lip.

3. Narrow palpebral fissures of eyes.

Short collumella can be an associated feature, but that alone cannot be used to label the diagnosis as fetal alcohol syndrome.

What is your opinion about this nose?

Dr. M. Pradeep Kumar

Clinical Genetics
#

Thank you for sharing those lovely pictures of the baby (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The nose looks broad with broad and blunt tip. However there are no other classical features suggestive of fetal alcohol syndrome there. The baby looks quite alert and active. Unless associated major abnormalities in heart kidneys or in the brain are present, I will not call this baby as having any feature of fetal alcohol syndrome.

I know he does not have the sentinels features. But, I also know that children with FASD can have no features. I have read that only 10 % of children with FASD have the facial. I would like to know if his nose has the features of a nose you can see in children with FAS. What is your opinion about his? What is your opinion about his columella?

Dr. M. Pradeep Kumar

Clinical Genetics
#

The nose is not fitting in with the diagnosis of FAS.

Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension)

Article Overview: Blood pressure is the force exerted by the blood flowing in the blood vessels on the walls of the vessels. Without this force, oxygen and nutrients would not reach the tissues and organs of the body. The heart exerts this pressure by forcing the blood out with every contraction. The increase or decrease of blood pressure depends on the circumference of the blood vessel and the force by which the heart pumps the blood Read Article

Dr. K Sneha

What Is Blood Pressure? Blood pressure is the force exerted by the blood flowing in the blood vessels on the walls of the vessels. Without this force, oxygen and nutrients would not reach the tissues and organs of the body. The heart exerts this pressure by forcing the blood out with every contract...  Read Article

What is causing frequent miscarriages?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had four miscarriages in a row. One had a subchronic hematoma. Is there a reason for this or a way to stop? I have given live births but now I cannot keep a child. What can I do?  Read Full >>

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Recurrent miscarriages need to be investigated actually. You had live births but now had four consecutive miscarriages. It is better to have a thrombophilia screen and products of conception needed to be send out for histopathology to check any chromosomal, congenital, st...  Read Full

Ask a Clinical Geneticist Now