Q. Which is the most accurate method to measure body temperature?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 21, 2019

I have a question regarding body temperature measurement. What is the most accurate way to take one's temperature?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The anal temperature is the best way to measure the core temperature of the body.

For further information consult a family physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

Can I start looking for my anal temperature for regular monitoring?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Actually, anal temperature is measured in ambulatory facilities where oral temperature cannot be measured due to certain oral surgeries or if the person is on a ventilator or non-responsive or gets seizures.
  • However, in your case, in a daily day-to-day life, when there are no such concerns troubling you, then you should continue with oral temperature monitoring.
  • If you find it unhygienic, then thermometer can be placed under an armpit for the same amount of time.
  • Anal temperature recording is considered invasive and often uncomfortable, so I would not recommend a switch. But, you may use it twice a week or so.

For further doubts consult a family physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

If rectal temperature is the most accurate way, then why do doctors do not recommend it?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• A rectal temperature is generally considered to be the most accurate and the standard for monitoring the core body temperature.
  • It is generally not recommended for use in patients due to the risk of rectal perforation and tears with this method.
  • However, under supervision it can be used. Of course, as mentioned above when the patient is non co-operative, unconscious, under seizures or especially in toddlers and infants, this is the best way to measure temperature but not routinely.
  • Oral and axillary temperatures average about 0.5 F to 1.0 F (0.3 C to 0.6 C) degrees below rectal temperature. Add 0.5 to 1.0 F when taking orally or under the arm to determine the comparable rectal temperature.

|