Q. Which is the most accurate method to measure body temperature?

Published on Jul 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 21, 2019

I have a question regarding body temperature measurement. What is the most accurate way to take one's temperature?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The anal temperature is the best way to measure the core temperature of the body.

For further information consult a family physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

Can I start looking for my anal temperature for regular monitoring?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Actually, anal temperature is measured in ambulatory facilities where oral temperature cannot be measured due to certain oral surgeries or if the person is on a ventilator or non-responsive or gets seizures.
  • However, in your case, in a daily day-to-day life, when there are no such concerns troubling you, then you should continue with oral temperature monitoring.
  • If you find it unhygienic, then thermometer can be placed under an armpit for the same amount of time.
  • Anal temperature recording is considered invasive and often uncomfortable, so I would not recommend a switch. But, you may use it twice a week or so.

For further doubts consult a family physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

If rectal temperature is the most accurate way, then why do doctors do not recommend it?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• A rectal temperature is generally considered to be the most accurate and the standard for monitoring the core body temperature.
  • It is generally not recommended for use in patients due to the risk of rectal perforation and tears with this method.
  • However, under supervision it can be used. Of course, as mentioned above when the patient is non co-operative, unconscious, under seizures or especially in toddlers and infants, this is the best way to measure temperature but not routinely.
  • Oral and axillary temperatures average about 0.5 F to 1.0 F (0.3 C to 0.6 C) degrees below rectal temperature. Add 0.5 to 1.0 F when taking orally or under the arm to determine the comparable rectal temperature.

| 

Is jaundice in a newborn dangerous? What has to be done?

Query: Hello doctor, My cousin gave birth to a baby boy yesterday at 38 weeks and baby is 2.8 kg in weight. Yesterday evening the doctor told us that the baby has jaundice at 3.3 and now it is 5.3 What should we do for this? Is it dangerous? Hospital people said yesterday it was mild and does not need tre...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now