Q. Why do I have low-grade fever with swelling of glands in the neck?

and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 11, 2021 and last reviewed on: Mar 09, 2021

I have a low-grade fever for three months. I have three or four lumps on the left breast. There is a swollen gland in my neck and under my jaw. It swells and gets smaller. I have pain in my left shoulder and it crunches when I move it. I also have pain in my left elbow without injuries. Now, I have rib pain with a large nodule on the left side. It seems to be a floating rib. I have consulted the doctor several times. I have done blood culture, stool culture and did tests from HIV to mononucleosis. All the results are negative.

I have a decrease in the level of lymphocytes and the protein in my urine is abnormal. I have done a chest X-ray and it was normal. I have done a CT scan for abdominal pain and it showed inflammation in the lower colon and rectum. The stool culture is normal. Now, I have pain while breathing. I have pain in the left lower back with pain in the left ankle with swelling. My breast ultrasound is also normal. I have lost six kilograms. I have nausea and fatigue. My blood pressure is low with a level of 90/58 mm Hg. I am going to do a colonoscopy. Please suggest.

#

If you have night sweats, weight loss, and fever, then you need to worry about leukemia, lymphoma, mycobacterial infection, HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), and autoimmune disease. You need to do a peripheral smear, ANA (antinuclear antibody) with differentiation, lymph node biopsy, or biopsy of the chest wall mass. You need to do a CT (computed tomography) chest with contrast. It is good to hear that you have a negative result for HIV. I am assuming that you have done HIV testing using PCR (polymerase chain reaction) and not through HIV antibodies. The lymph node biopsy will provide you a clue for diagnosis and it is tested for infections. The colonoscopy will also provide you some answers. Please share your blood work and imaging results.

|