Q. Why do I have low-grade fever with swelling of glands in the neck?

Answered by
Dr. Sadaf Mustafa
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 11, 2021 and last reviewed on: Mar 09, 2021

Hi doctor,

I have a low-grade fever for three months. I have three or four lumps on the left breast. There is a swollen gland in my neck and under my jaw. It swells and gets smaller. I have pain in my left shoulder and it crunches when I move it. I also have pain in my left elbow without injuries. Now, I have rib pain with a large nodule on the left side. It seems to be a floating rib. I have consulted the doctor several times. I have done blood culture, stool culture and did tests from HIV to mononucleosis. All the results are negative.

I have a decrease in the level of lymphocytes and the protein in my urine is abnormal. I have done a chest X-ray and it was normal. I have done a CT scan for abdominal pain and it showed inflammation in the lower colon and rectum. The stool culture is normal. Now, I have pain while breathing. I have pain in the left lower back with pain in the left ankle with swelling. My breast ultrasound is also normal. I have lost six kilograms. I have nausea and fatigue. My blood pressure is low with a level of 90/58 mm Hg. I am going to do a colonoscopy. Please suggest.



Welcome to

If you have night sweats, weight loss, and fever, then you need to worry about leukemia, lymphoma, mycobacterial infection, HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), and autoimmune disease. You need to do a peripheral smear, ANA (antinuclear antibody) with differentiation, lymph node biopsy, or biopsy of the chest wall mass. You need to do a CT (computed tomography) chest with contrast. It is good to hear that you have a negative result for HIV. I am assuming that you have done HIV testing using PCR (polymerase chain reaction) and not through HIV antibodies. The lymph node biopsy will provide you a clue for diagnosis and it is tested for infections. The colonoscopy will also provide you some answers. Please share your blood work and imaging results.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Fever in Babies: When to Call the Doctor

.. symptom. When babies have fever, it can be traumatic for the parents as well, because they are unsure of what is causing it and how to soothe the baby. Adding to their anxiety, the baby is unable to explain his/ her discomfort in words. This artic...   Read full

Why is there swelling in neck behind ear and a swollen tooth?

.. like to know few details like: Since when he has noticed this swelling? Is there swelling anywhere else like in neck or armpits? Any fever, cough, throat pain or weight loss? Any history of TB (tuberculosis), smoking or tobacco? Any ulcer i...   Read full

Fever and chills in a child of age 3 years 6 months. What can be done?

.. be because of a highfever, or because of urine infection or malaria. As of now use the below medication. Syrup Crocin DS (Paracetamol) 5 ml/240 mg, 4 ml if fever greater than 100 F every sixth hourly. Sponging with lukewarm water until the fever d...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

What Is ADHD and How Is It Managed?
This article discusses ADHD, whether it is a real condition, features of ADHD, how to recognize and manage this common c...  Read more»
Does a cold sore indicate cervical cancer?
Hi doctor,Can a cold sore virus cause cervical cancer? I never had sex before, but I have caught a cold sore from one of...  Read more»
I am experiencing abdominal bloating and severe acidity. Are these side effects of antibiotics?
Hello doctor, I have been experiencing bloating and acidity during the menopause years. After experiencing a burning se...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.