Q. I have a sharp stabbing pain in left flank with no kidney stone. Is it related to spinal nerve?

Dr. Vaibhav Ramesh Gandhi
Published on Dec 20, 2019

I am a 48-year-old male in reasonable health other than a back problem that leaves me unable to sleep. I am having sharp stabbing pain in my left flank, only when I lay in bed and change positions. I am negative for kidney stones, so assume it is spinal nerve related.

I only get relief when I take 30 mg immediate-release Oxycodone and have been obtaining them illegally. I have no health insurance and would like a legal alternative for obtaining this medication. I do not use them recreationally and only take a maximum of two per day. Do you have any advise?

Dr. Vaibhav Ramesh Gandhi

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

I have studied your case. There is a possibility of spinal disc bulge leading to back pain. I will advise you to do MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) spine to see for any disc bulge or spinal canal stenosis. And also check your vitamin B12 and vitamin D3 levels.

Medication like Methylcobalamine and analgesic will reduce pain. You can continue yoga exercises and focus on spine extension exercises.

Some exercises which can be done include spine extension exercises, lying on your stomach flat and lift the leg six inches from the ground, do it for other leg. Now lift both hand and leg simultaneously, six inches off the ground and stay. Position for around ten breathes. Core stabilizing spine exercises will help.

You may consult a physiotherapist for guidance. He may start TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation), or ultrasound which is helpful in your case. If not relieved you can take an epidural injection. You can cure the disease by doing all modalities with balancing your posture habits.

| 

MRI shows 'intermediate signal intensity lesion in endometrial cavity.' What is it?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother aged 55 years got an MRI with an observation of 'intermediate signal intensity lesion noted in the endometrial cavity measuring 19x28x24, in the fundal body region with loss of endometrial interface. Tethering of sigmoid colon with distal ileal loops to the uterus in fundus re...  Read Full »

Does nutcracker syndrome cause stress and depression?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21 year old student. I recently found that I have nutcracker syndrome. I fear that it will affect my mitral valve prolapse or cause some damage to the heart, leading to stress and depression.  Read Full »

I am experiencing an urge to urinate every 30 minutes. What could be the cause?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old, 6feet, 190 lbs. For a couple of months, I have been experiencing the urge to urinate every 30 minutes or so. There is no burning, no aches, no pains, or nothing out of the ordinary. I can hold my bladder. There is no leaking. Even when I wake up in the morning, I am...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now