Q. I had medicines for acidity but still I am facing flatulence. Please help.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana
Hello doctor, i am 18 year old. I didn't have any gas problem. But when i became 17 i started to experience heavy gas problem. The main problem was flatulence. As i am a student it is a great problem for me. During this 1 year i consulted some doctor and had medicine for acidity. But still no change. Even after one year it didnt stop. And i am suffering from it. Flatulence is the main problem. It is so many time a day. But no stomach pain and gastric reflux. I am only 18.please help me...
#

Hello dear. I welcome you to icliniq. I can understand your concern, and can imagine how much upset you are about your problem which is ongoing for a year now. Look, the gas is a normal to produce inside our bowel, however excessive gas can cause trouble. And once the gas is formed particularly Hydrogen and sulpher gases, which, since they are not permissible and do not directly absorb in the blood, tend to come out via wind, or via burps. So the problem may be an excessive production of the gases inside you gut. This can be due to excessive abnormal bacteria in the small bowel, or food which are notorious to ferment, and produce excessive gases. Lastly, there can be a another mechanism in to play namely slowing of the bowels and leading to excessive exposure of food to these harmful gas producing bacterias in the small bowel, and thus causing you the problem. Now the strategy is to investigate you thoroughly before jumping on to suggest you some medicines. Kindly get following tests and let me know one the reports are available. Plus I want you to tell me, do you have diarrhea as well? and have you noticed any change in the weight? and have you used any antibiotics recently? or suffered an episode of acute gastroenteritis lately?

Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth ( SIBO)
carbohydrate malabsorption/intolerance
Gastroparesis/Small intestinal chronic intermittent obstruction
Functional gas and bloating

CBC, TSH, FT4, Hydrogen breath test ( HBT) after lactulose/sucrose challenge,
stool for detail report,
stool for reducing substance,
stool for fat globules,
stool for ova and parasites.

Follow up to provide above information.

|