Q. Why do I get allergy on having some kind of seafood?

Dr. C Elanchezhian
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on May 19, 2019

I am 51 years old. I had a severe allergic reaction when I was 7 years old, after eating a crab meat sandwich. It was made with canned crab meat, and I cannot be sure if it was real or artificial. I found large round red hives all over my body, which turned to rings before healing. I never ate crab or lobster since then. I have always eaten shrimp, scallops, clams, and many other types of seafood without issue. I continue to wonder if my allergy all those years ago was a crab meat allergy. I have been avoiding crab and lobster for no reason. Does all seafood belong to the the same family?

Dr. C Elanchezhian

#

Allergy reaction is due to a specific particular protein or substance. Each group has a different type of protein. It varies from each. There are several types of shellfish, each containing different proteins like crustaceans include crabs, lobster, crayfish, shrimp, and prawn. Mollusks include squid, snails, clams, oysters, and scallops. Some people are allergic to only one type of shellfish but can eat others. Other people with shellfish allergy must avoid all seafood. So one may need not get an allergy to all group and family.

What is the treatment for severe eczema?

Query: Hello doctor, I have some questions regarding allergy. When I was a kid, I had eczema on my mid-arms. Then it went away. Some years ago, when I was around 22, it came back aggressively on my face, neck, and shoulders. Then I was referred to blood food allergy tests (IgE). A lot of allergens was de...  Read Full >>

Dr. Dilip Meena
Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1. Yes, some food can cause urticaria and rarely angioedema like peanut and seafood allergies. 2. But, there is no significance of the test you have mentioned, as that is a very nonspecific kind of test and most of the people who get themselves tested found themselv...  Read Full

Kindly suggest an ointment for quick relief of these itchy bumps.

Query: Hi doctor, I have this skin reaction for around a month now. They are itchy, red and tiny bumps. My doctor gave my Zatamil ointment to use but after that ointment I feel it as spreading. Is there any other ointment that can help to get rid of it quickly?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I feel sorry for this situation. The most important aspect that I am interested in is how did you get this rash (attachment removed to protect patient identity)? Is it due to food allergy or medication induced or chemical allergy or plant or insect contact, etc? I suggest...  Read Full

A 6-year-old gets itchy rashes after taking Paracetamol syrup. Is this Paracetamol allergy?

Query: Hello doctor, A 6-year-old gets itchy rashes on her face and stomach after taking Paracetamol syrup, may be a probable allergy to Paracetamol. We have been giving her Calpol for the past three years. And it is showing these symptoms now. 1. How to make sure that this is Paracetamol allergy or not...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vishal Parmar
Paediatrician, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For allergy, you can give Cetirizine syrup. Paracetamol is one of the safest drugs. It is very rare that Paracetamol causes allergy. And you are also giving Paracetamol for the last three years, and there was no allergy. Generally, allergies increase by repeated expo...  Read Full