Q. Why do I get allergy on having some kind of seafood?

Answered by Dr. C Elanchezhian and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Do you have a question on Food Allergy or Seafood Allergy? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am 51 years old. I had a severe allergic reaction when I was 7 years old, after eating a crab meat sandwich. It was made with canned crab meat, and I cannot be sure if it was real or artificial. I found large round red hives all over my body, which turned to rings before healing. I never ate crab or lobster since then. I have always eaten shrimp, scallops, clams, and many other types of seafood without issue. I continue to wonder if my allergy all those years ago was a crab meat allergy. I have been avoiding crab and lobster for no reason. Does all seafood belong to the the same family?