Q. I have tiny white bumps over my penis shaft and foreskin. What are they?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

I have tiny whitish bumps spread over my penis shaft and foreskin. They are raised almost with a pinhead size, some have tiny hairs, and some do not. I am not sure what they are and why they are appearing more now. Please help.

#

Those are retention cysts or so-called Fordyce spots. It is the accumulation of a small amount of sebum. There is no treatment indicated. Sometimes they grow larger. If so, then it needs to be surgically removed, otherwise no worries and nothing to do. If you have any more queries, please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you.

Is there anything I can do to prevent their occurrence or to make them go away? Am I doing something wrong with my soap products? How do I know that they are not warts, and why do some have hairs up till the foreskin?

#

Take precautions to keep regular hygiene and wash the area with a mild soap like baby soap. Always keep the site dry. There is no product or medication which can stop it. Usually, it goes away on its own.Thank you.

|