Q. How to get rid of the irritation and burning sensation in my foreskin after UTI treatment?

Dr. Vaibhav

I have irritation and burning sensation in my foreskin. Recently I noticed redness and swelling in the head of my penis. I had a UTI two weeks ago and took medication under my doctor's supervision. I am cured now.

Kindly help.

#

Your concern regarding the foreskin irritation and redness of the penis is due to an infection called balanitis. Since you had a recent UTI (urinary tract infection), it can be a sequel to that. Usually, these infections subside with few days of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory ointment.

I suggest you get a proper physical examination done by a urologist to confirm the diagnosis of balanitis and assess its severity. If the foreskin remains tight even after treatment, then circumcision may be needed in a very rare case.

Thanks for the reply.

Could you please suggest some ointment?

Thanks.

#

A physical examination is important before prescribing any antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, or steroidal cream as overuse of steroid cream can cause discoloration and thinning of the foreskin. Hence I insisted on doing a thorough physical examination.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

I consulted a doctor and had my blood test before two weeks. And my blood test reports were normal, but the urine culture test shows E.coli infection, and my doctor told me it is because of the UTI. He examined my foreskin and found it to be tight. And advised me to clean the genitals regularly to avoid infection.

Thanks, doctor.

#

Your tight foreskin is the reason for infection in the tip of your penis. There are combination of antibiotics and steroids for making skin loose. It is usually used for ten days. If it does not become loose even after the medications, then circumcision is needed.

Thanks for the reply.

I will buy the cream.

Thanks.

#

Use it for two to three days and observe if you have improvement. If improvement is observed, then you can continue it for one week.

|