Q. How long will it take for a fracture to heal and function perfectly?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2020

Three months ago, I fractured my left clavicle. The bones were displaced and the doctors advised to heal it conservatively. They used sling and the figure of 8 brace for six weeks for the same. No retraction for alignment or surgery was performed. It has been three months and still I have slight pain in the joint. There is an obvious bump. In x-rays, it still looks like a fractured bone with no joint in between. It pains to lift the hand sideways and while lifting weights. I am a pilot. I need this fracture to heal perfectly and the full functioning of the shoulder also has to be restored to start flying. How long will it take?

#

• Conservative management of clavicle fracture followed by rehabilitation for complete shoulder movements may take up to three months of time under normal circumstances.
  • Bump during fracture healing is a normal phenomenon and it is due to callus formation. It resolves as the bone remodels itself over the years.
  • For proper assessment of your case, I would like to see your x-rays both post injury and after the conservative management.

Revert back with the x-rays to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

I have attached my x-ray taken three months before.

#

I have seen the images posted along with your query (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It appears that the fracture might land up nonunion and will require operative intervention. The only thing that ensures the union will take place is clinical examination.
  • If there is no mobility at the fracture site, then the fracture will unite. If the fracture ends are still mobile, then it will lead to nonunion.
  • You need to visit your local orthopedic doctor and get a physical evaluation regarding the same.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

| 

I have neck and shoulder pain that go away when I lie down. Any suggestions?

Query: Hello doctor,I complained of neck and shoulder pain. It was diagnosed to be muscle spasm by a doctor. X-ray has been taken. I was given cream and Muscadol tablets. I used ice and some exercise. It worked over 90 % but the problem is I feel pain after sitting on a chair for 10 minutes continually. It...  Read Full »

Does my X-ray show that both elbows are broken?

Query: Hello doctor,I fell off the bike. I took X-rays and the doctor is telling me that both elbows are broken. As a non-professional, I cannot see if it is really broken. I do not have any pain if I am not stretching the elbow too much. Are both elbows really broken? And if yes, do I have to wear the cas...  Read Full »

What is the solution for shoulder pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am experiencing pain on my right shoulder for a couple of weeks. I have the pain only when I move. When I raise my hands up and throwing anything overhead, I have the pain. The pain is at the front of my shoulder, and I can put the finger on the spot that is sore. I am taking Paracetam...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now