Q. Should I be worried about my high peroxidase antibody levels?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I am 25 weeks pregnant, and my peroxidase antibody levels in my blood are more than 600 IU/ml. However my other thyroid function values are within range, say thyroid stimulating hormone is 1.50 mIU/ml and free T4 level is 11 ng/dl. I am currently not on any medications.

Though my maternity doctor has asked me not to worry and that my baby would be fine, I am still concerned. Please let me know the effects of these tests that would have on my baby.

#

I read your query and can understand your concern.

From what you have mentioned, I have read your query, and from what you have mentioned, it appears that you are pregnant and have high thyroid peroxidase antibodies.

There is nothing to worry about since your TSH, T3, and T4 are normal.

These antibodies are found in the body, which is of no significance as long as you are mentally and physically healthy. They are opportunistic and will act only if you are weak and cause hypothyroidism. However, your thyroid levels will be continuously monitored every four weeks. So in case, your levels rise, you will also be treated for that.

I hope this information is helpful.

|