Q. My newborn son's TSH level is 5. 6 and T4 is 8. 6. Does he need treatment?

Dr. Sirisha
Published on Nov 14, 2019

My son is 42 days old. His activities are normal, but his TSH level is 5.6 miu /ml and lab normal range is 4-8 miu/ml and his total T4 level is 8.6 mcg/dl and my lab normal level is, 4-8 miu /ml. My doctor says that he is in borderline and needs treatment as the correlation between two hormone level is not correct. Is this true? Please help.

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrics
#

TSH of 5.6 is high normal and T4 of 8.6 is fine. If this is the first time you are checking it, repeat after five days, do a free T3, free T4, and TSH next time. They are better interpreters. Correlation between the hormone levels seems to be fine. The condition which we are worried about is hypothyroidism, where the body has low T3 or T4, because of which TSH is high. Sometimes when the reports are difficult to interpret, it is always better to repeat and confirm.

Thyroid is concerned with overall development, especially of the brain, the early we start treatment, the better. But over treatment is also not advisable. So better repeat the test, if TSH is coming down, no need to start the treatment.

My TSH levels was normal before five months and it is quite high now. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, Before five years, I was tested for thyroid. The result was TSH at 3.45. Five months later, my symptoms were getting worse, and my doctor rechecked me after five months TSH was 7.40, and free T4 was 0.9. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Which would explain my weight gain, hair los...  Read Full »

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full »

My bp is 100/60 and TSH level is 0.022, I am feeling alone and depressed. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have 100/60 blood pressure, and I feel less active. My TSH level is 0.022, and I am feeling alone and depressed, but I am getting sleep. Please help.  Read Full »