Q. Should I be concerned about my slightly high free T4 level?

Dr. Swaraj S W
Published on Mar 27, 2017

I am a 59 year old male in generally excellent health. I am 5'10" tall and weighs 170 pounds. I am very fit for my age. I just had an annual physical and laboratory work, and it was generally excellent. I had a complete thyroidectomy before nine years due to several large but benign cysts in my thyroid gland. I am on 200 mcg of Levothyroxine daily. My blood work showed a TSH of 1.04 and free T4 of 1.93. My laboratory considers normal free T4 to be 0.7 to 1.76. Should I be concerned about this slight high value? I feel great, and all other blood tests were excellent.

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

• I do not think that you should be concerned.
  • For the free T4 to get high and cause worried your TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) should get suppressed, which is not the case with you.
  • I would suggest you keep the same dose and repeat TSH and free T4 after two months. Still, if it is high, then we can think about dose reduction.
  • Therefore, no need to do anything as of now.

For further doubts consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

What causes low TSH and FT4?

Query: Dear Doctor, After my tubal pregnancy my thyroids started acting low TSH 0.11 0.21 0.26 and low FT4 0.81 0.82 0.79 .076. But did not visit the doctor yet. Is it hyperactivity thyroid? Give me any advice.  Read Full »

Can a woman without thyroid gland conceive and live a normal life?

Query: Hi doctor,Can I marry a woman without a thyroid gland? She has a nodule in her left lobe of thyroid gland but after total thyroidectomy, there was no cancer. I am tensed because she has no thyroid gland. The surgeon said it is not a matter but some doctors say there will be a complication in future....  Read Full »

Please suggest ways to control the TSH level in a diabetic.

Query: Hi doctor, My dad is 67 years of age and my mom is 63 now. I have got general health checkup done for my parents. I am uploading the reports here. Kindly check and let me know if anything needs our immediate attention. Thanks  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now