Q. Should I worry about my elevated cortisol and DHEA levels?

Dr. Divakara P

I have done blood work and urinalysis. Everything came back normal except with slightly elevated cortisol of 25 ug/dl in the morning and elevated DHEA-S of 480 micrograms per deciliter also in the morning. My urine has some microscopic blood in it. I get my periods two times a month. Please help me.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The normal upper limit of DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) for your age is 400 micrograms per deciliter of blood. Your level is 480 micrograms per deciliter of blood which is a mild elevation. The normal upper limit of cortisol in the morning sample is 20 ug/dl, and you have 25 ug/dl which is a slight elevation.

This minor elevation does not have any significance, and it needs to be followed up with repeated tests after three to four months. I need to know whether you are taking any medicines because some medicines can alter the DHEA levels or cortisol levels. Please mention about the other symptoms like excessive hair growth on the face or body, change in voice, any shrinkage in breast size or anything else.

| 

I have black hairs on my neck, and I have a deeper voice. I always do workouts every day. I am not taking medications. I did an abdominal CT and abdominal ultrasound recently. The results came back normal.

Dr. Divakara P

#

You do not have any significant symptoms of hormonal imbalance, and the level of elevation in the hormone levels are also insignificant. Do not worry about anything. Just repeat cortisol, DHEA, and free testosterone hormone levels after three months and revert me with the reports.

|