Q. Should I worry about my elevated cortisol and DHEA levels?

Dr. Divakara P

I have done blood work and urinalysis. Everything came back normal except with slightly elevated cortisol of 25 ug/dl in the morning and elevated DHEA-S of 480 micrograms per deciliter also in the morning. My urine has some microscopic blood in it. I get my periods two times a month. Please help me.

#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The normal upper limit of DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) for your age is 400 micrograms per deciliter of blood. Your level is 480 micrograms per deciliter of blood which is a mild elevation. The normal upper limit of cortisol in the morning sample is 20 ug/dl, and you have 25 ug/dl which is a slight elevation.

This minor elevation does not have any significance, and it needs to be followed up with repeated tests after three to four months. I need to know whether you are taking any medicines because some medicines can alter the DHEA levels or cortisol levels. Please mention about the other symptoms like excessive hair growth on the face or body, change in voice, any shrinkage in breast size or anything else.

I have black hairs on my neck, and I have a deeper voice. I always do workouts every day. I am not taking medications. I did an abdominal CT and abdominal ultrasound recently. The results came back normal.

#

You do not have any significant symptoms of hormonal imbalance, and the level of elevation in the hormone levels are also insignificant. Do not worry about anything. Just repeat cortisol, DHEA, and free testosterone hormone levels after three months and revert me with the reports.

| 

Is bleeding after 10 days of periods normal in a 17-year-old?

Query: Hello doctor,My 17 years old daughter had her periods last month as normal for six days. After 10 days, she suddenly got bleeding again. Apparently, it looks like periods. Is it normal? She had this problem of having her periods occurring quite frequently twice a month, but since last year it was go...  Read Full »

I have four big fibroids. Is there any ayurvedic medication to shrink them?

Query: Hello doctor,I have four big fibroids. Two intramural 12 cm and 10 cm each and other two 4 and 10 cm each which are subserous. I do not have any symptoms except for frequent urination. My periods are also regular. Is there any medication to shrink the fibroids?  Read Full »

What causes irregular periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having issues of on and off periods for nearly four years now. When I started my periods, they were completely normal, neither heavy nor light and nothing unusual. But, I started missing my cycle for about six months and then I would come back completely normal. My last epi...  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»

Ask an Endocrinologist Now