Q. I get frequent urination for about a week. Can this be a symptom of ovarian cancer?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 10, 2020

I am having frequent urination for the last four to five days coupled with bloating. I used to have the same problem in the last year also. Please guide. Can this be symptom of ovarian cancer? Recently I lost 6-8 kg of my weight.

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Do not think of ovarian cancer as such with a single symptom. Frequent urination can be due to UTI (urinary tract infection), cystitis, bulky uterus, or uterine prolapse. It's acute onset points towards infection more likely.

Just drink more water that keeps urine clear. Keep the vaginal area as dry as possible. Avoid having sex.

You can take liquid Cital 2 tablespoons two to three times daily, tablet Niftas 100 mg two times daily for 15 days. If not relieved then only we have to look for other problems. Right now I am giving treatment and precautions for UTI only.

For bloating, it may be due to acidity or stomach upset. Starvations or not walking like home lockdown can also increase the acidity. So avoid spicy and oily food. Do not starve. Do not take stress.

You can take tablet Ondem 4 mg like tablets two times a day or Pan 40 once daily.

If weight loss is without decreasing food habit and other things then need to do one ultrasound abdomen and pelvis along with one chest x-ray may be required. Means need to investigate for finding the reason. Ultrasound will also tell about any other pathology if you have doubts about your ovaries. And if symptoms are increasing then urine routine test and if pus cells found than culture sensitivity of urine also required.

You can start with drinking more water and precautions and other medicines. Will see in two or three days whether decreasing or not.

| 

Is ovarian cancer genetic?

Query: Hi doctor, Two days before I got my periods and I started having sudden, sharp stabbing pain in my right ovary. These pains would slowly subside, although I could always feel a small sensation in the same spot, until it flare up again. It seemed to be agitated by the movement. I stay perfectly still...  Read Full »

I have frequent urination and minimal calcification. Does it mean prostate cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 27 years old. I am worried about my prostate as my grandfather had prostate cancer and my father had an enlargement but was already cured. I had an ultrasound last year due to frequent urinating and result showed minimal calcification a year back. The Radiologist told me that the ca...  Read Full »

How to treat vaginal dryness and pain following a UTI?

Query: Hi doctor, A few months ago, I was suffering from UTI and followed by vaginal dryness. Right now, I feel occasional sharp pain in my vagina, which subsides after a while. Also, I am getting pain during intercourse. I wanted to know the ways to treat this vaginal dryness. I had urine and culture t...  Read Full »