Q. I have cough, sore throat and increased urinary frequency for a few days. What to do?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
Published on Oct 28, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 30, 2019

I am a 28 year old male. I have some symptoms for the last few days like cough, sore throat, frequent sensation of urinating, with no or very little urine and feeling of incomplete emptying of the bladder. It is accompanied by pain, which feels like it is in the urethra. The frequency of urination is every 30 minutes, sometimes immediately after using the restroom. I was never sick before, so I am a little concerned.

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I understand your concern. You have not given adequate history. Did you have any unprotected sexual intercourse in recent days? Are you at risk for STD (sexually transmitted disease)? If so, then frequent urination and burning accompanied by some pain can signify some STD.

For fever and sore throat, I will advise you saline water gargling. Do it three to four times a day and avoid cold food for the next few days.

If you do not have STD scare, then you can have tablet Ciplox (Ciprofloxacin) 500 mg twice a day after food, for five to seven days, and your symptoms will resolve.

If you do have STD scare, then I suggest taking tablet Doxycycline 100 mg twice a day for seven to ten days, depending on your severity.

If your symptoms are not resolving after two days, kindly consult your local physician and get yourself checked for STD, and they can do your urine routine and culture.

I have frequent urination and minimal calcification. Does it mean prostate cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 27 years old. I am worried about my prostate as my grandfather had prostate cancer and my father had an enlargement but was already cured. I had an ultrasound last year due to frequent urinating and result showed minimal calcification a year back. The Radiologist told me that the ca...  Read Full >>

Dr. Karthik Rajan
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query. It is extremely unlikely for you to develop prostate cancer at your age. Even in families with hereditary prostate cancer, the usual age people develop cancer is above 40 years of age at the lowest, though it is usually between 50 to 60 y...  Read Full

I have sore throat from two years. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor,I have a bad case of sore throat. It has been two years since I have a sore throat. I regularly gargle with hot water or diluted Betadine gargles (Povidone-iodine solution ), but there is no effect. Rather, it has gotten worse.  Read Full >>

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you are a chronic patient of pharyngeal infection, we have to rule out all possible causes one by one with a thorough examination and necessary investigations. You should go for the following investigations. CT paranasal sinuses. Culture and sensitivity of throa...  Read Full

Can soreness in throat and skin redness after sex be due to HIV infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 42 years old white male, I had protected intercourse vaginal and anal and unprotected oral sex, vaginal and anal exactly 17 days back. Eight days after I had an itch in my throat that practically made the corner of my mouth pucker for a day or two and lost my appetite. Around the...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You had protected intercourse and so the chance of HIV is less. The mentioned symptoms are not suggestive of HIV. But still, for peace of the mind, it is advisable to investigate with CMIA combo ELISA test for HIV after six weeks of exposure. Your rashes seem to be a...  Read Full