Q. What causes frequent urination in a child?

Dr. Devendra
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 06, 2020

My question is for a child: 6 years, female, 22 kg. Symptoms: has frequent urination during day 5 minutes- 1 hour starting from about a month ago, if she wakes up at night she will go pee; she is diagnosed with pollakiuria and cystitis. The symptoms started with gradually more and more frequent urination. She has no pain when urinating or during a medical examination of the lower/higher abdomen. Stool is normal consistency with a frequency of 1-3 days.

Other medical condition:

General condition is okay, she has constant small pain around the belly button since she was little, unconnected to what she eats, time of the day or stool/pee; she is used to ignore it; she has a light form of vulvitis meaning it gets red and starts scratching so in order to fix this we use a dermatologic creme recommended by a dermatologist: Cicalfate; before bed each day, we wash her and use the creme; and the skin returns to a normal aspect if we keep using the creme; we tried other cremes as well, mostly they work but if we stop the treatment it starts inflammation again. There is no kind of liquid or secretion from vagina.

Dr. Devendra

Urology
#

The child has only day time frequency. If she wakes up, then she voids. This is very significant history. This means there is no organic disease. A diseased bladder will lead to frequency day and night. No constipation, normal urine examination, normal ultrasound findings. Such frequency is transient behavioural issue. Do not pay attention to her demand to pass urine. Neither positive nor negative response. Stool habits are important, avoid constipation. During this transient period of symptoms: may give tablet Oxybutynin 5 mg extended release after breakfast. If persistent symptoms repeat urine analysis (no need of culture if no significant pus cells/ leukocytes).

| 

I have frequent urination and tests showed up 6 to 7 pus cells. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I am having frequent urination and tests showed up pus cells 6 to 7. I am having this for three days. I am having a feeling of voiding it even if I just urinated like one minute ago only.  Read Full »

I have frequent urination and minimal calcification. Does it mean prostate cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 27 years old. I am worried about my prostate as my grandfather had prostate cancer and my father had an enlargement but was already cured. I had an ultrasound last year due to frequent urinating and result showed minimal calcification a year back. The Radiologist told me that the ca...  Read Full »

My constipation is so bad that I have to evacuate the stools with my fingers. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have an anal fissure, internal hemorrhoid, SRUS, and constipation. One year ago, I was suffering from a hard stool that was difficult to pass. I went to a gastroenterologist, who did a colonoscopy and found that I had an anal fissure and internal hemorrhoid. He prescribed Sitcom Fo...  Read Full »