Q. What could be the reason for my frequent small amount of urination?

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

I literally have to go to the bathroom all the time (pee urine). Everything else with my body is in excellent shape. Like every 15 to 30 minutes, I am going to pee and a lot does not come out compared to others of my age I have noticed. I usually have to get up in middle of night to go too. I am 21 years old, 5'7" and 140 lb. Is it just because I am not that big so I have a smaller bladder or if I do not drink water for a while I will last hours without having to go. My urine is never dark or smells nasty either.

#

From the symptoms detailed it seems you have polyuria that is frequent peeing, and nocturia that is the need to urinate twice or more during the night. How long have you been facing the aforementioned symptoms? Increased volume each time you pee? Do you have any urgency? Bladder discomfort? Pain in the abdomen in the suprapubic area? Inability to postpone urine? Leakage of urine? Anxiety? Increased thirst? Increased appetite? Frequent consumption of caffeine, tea, nicotine?

If yes, it may be an overactive bladder. It also happens in urinary tract Infection and needs to be ruled out by CUE (clinical urine test) that is by giving a urine sample for microscopy. Rule out diabetes by checking blood sugars. Only after ruling out other causes, you can be assured it is due to overactive bladder. You can do the following. Bladder training exercise, capping down the consumption of fluids particularly before you go to bed, complete evacuation of the bladder, decrease tea, coffee, and boozing.

|