iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersHIV/AIDS specialistfrequent urinationWhat causes tingling in scrotum after unprotected sex?

Why do I have tingling scrotum and frequent urination after unprotected sex?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At April 20, 2018
Reviewed AtJuly 18, 2023

Patient's Query

I have had some urinary issues in the past from a slightly enlarged prostate (37-year-old male). Two months back I had some testicle discomfort. The doctor gave me 10 days Ciprofloxacin. Last month I had unprotected sex. About six days later I had a sudden strong tingling in my scrotum that stopped me in my tracks. I had a chlamydia and gonorrhea urine test a few days later but was urinating so frequently that I could not hold my urine at least an hour before the test, and the test was negative. Frequent urination continues till today. I also had Keflex last month, a full panel STD (Sexually Transmitted Diseases) test this month, and everything was negative. But wondering if the antibiotic mixed with me filling up the cup way more than 30 ml could skew the test? I did contract genital warts, most likely from this encounter (showed up three weeks after). I started 28 days of Bactrim about a week ago and symptoms have not cleared. Frequent urination and tingling scrotum are still there. Also, my lower back by my spine hurts, but does not feel like a kidney thing. It hurts for a bit. Wondering if a spine injury could affect my urinary system. I guess even though I took two chlamydia and gonorrhea test, I am paranoid that the two negatives may have been skewed from urinating too soon before on test one and being on antibiotics or providing a large volume of urine on test two. And the partner is of medium risk. She has no symptoms. The urine test was done with the Aptiva Combo 2 RNA(Ribonucleic Acid)/TMA (Thrombotic microangiopathies) test. There is no discharge, just this persistent urination and unable to empty bladder.

Answered by Dr. Sushil Kakkar

Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have noted your concern. I do not think that the tests for gonorrhea or chlamydia would have been affected due to a higher volume of urine or oral antibiotics as the urine test relies on the detection of the nucleic acid material of gonorrhea or chlamydia which would have been present. Your symptoms could either be due to urinary tract infection or they could be those of prostatism. I suggest a urine routine microscopy, urine culture sensitivity, PSA (prostate-specific antigen) levels, uroflowmetry and pelvic ultrasound to estimate the size and volume of the prostate.

Patient's Query

Could a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) be from bacteria from the other person that is not classified as an STI (Sexually Transmitted Infection)? Urine was tested for several things and was fine and PSA (Prostate specific Antigen) level below one. I have an appointment with a urologist soon. I guess my main concern was that cause and effect feel of it. I was with one partner a long time with no issues. With this new person, one week later sudden groin pain followed by weeks of urinary issues were there. I will stop being so paranoid though.

Answered by Dr. Sushil Kakkar

Hi, Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Yes, the onset of symptoms after a new sexual partner is a point to be considered. Your symptoms (urgency and frequency) seem to be that of UTI (urinary tract infection) and chronic prostatitis. Perhaps underlying benign prostatic hypertrophy is a possible precipitating cause as it encourages backflow and urinary retention. Otherwise, STI's (sexually transmitted infection) like gonorrhea, chlamydia, trichomoniasis, ureaplasma, urealyticum are the usual causes of prostatitis and UTI from an infected sexual partner.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sushil Kakkar
Dr. Sushil Kakkar

Dermatology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

HIV/AIDS specialist

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy