Q. Why is antifungal medicine not working for my skin problem?

Dr. Rashmi Singh
Published on Jan 06, 2018

I am suffering from a skin condition for about four years in groin area as you can see in the attached pictures. There is a dark brown area with sharp borders on upper inner thighs where scrotum touches thighs. There is no itch, pain or burning sensation and it is not raised and also very plain. I went to a dermatologist and he diagnosed it as a fungal infection by just seeing it. After taking antifungal tablet and applying topical cream for about 35 days there is no noticeable improvement in the appearance of the affected area. If it is a fungal infection then it will itchy. I ignored it for four years because nothing seems serious in it. The picture was taken before treatment and all the others are of today. Can you see any improvement? I am getting married soon. Please tell me what is it. What treatment should I go for?

Dr. Rashmi Singh

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I have gone through the pictures (attachments removed to protect patient identity).

• It does look like fungal infection with some post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
  • We need to address the infection first and then proceed to pigmentation.
  • Please tell what antifungals your dermatologist has prescribed.

Revert back with the asked details to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

For the first 15 days, the doctor prescribed Itraconazole 100 mg once daily with Miconazole and Sertaconazole. Next 10 days, Itraconazole 200 mg once daily with Terbinafine cream and next 15 days he prescribed Fluconazole tablet 200 mg once in a week with Sertaconazole nitrate cream. I want to know if it is fungal infection then why it is not responding to the medications. And it was not itching even before the medications as well. Suggest me the treatment for post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Thank you.

Dr. Rashmi Singh

#

• Sometimes, candidiasis may not itch. Please get your blood glucose level checked to rule out immunosuppression.
  • If you apply depigmenting cream over infection, it would only worsen.
  • Mix topical Sertaconazole and Hydrocortisone in the morning and night. Continue taking antihistamines like Cetirizine at night.
  • Avoid wearing tight clothes. You can take Fluconazole 100 mg four times a day for a week.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Are the medicines given to me for scabies correct?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with scabies, and now I am worried my family also has it. The doctor has prescribed Permethrin cream 5%, Ketoconazole cream, Flutas 150 mg, and Levocetirizine. Are these tablets fine or should I add anything more? What should I do with the furniture and mobile phones? I h...  Read Full »

What is the acceptable range for blood glucose levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I have gotten different answers from various different doctors on this question. Maybe, you can give me a straight answer. What is the acceptable range for blood glucose levels? Some people say the lower end is 70 and some others say the lower end is 130. Please explain.  Read Full »

I have fungal infection in my ear.Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with fungal ear infection yesterday. Doctor asked me to get admitted in the hospital for a microsuction to remove fungal debris. Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction? Can microsuction be done as an out patient procedure without staying in...  Read Full »