HomeAnswersSexologyfungal infectionWhat to do for a rash that occurred after unprotected sex?

Whom should I consult for a rash that appeared after unprotected sex?

Whom should I consult for a rash that appeared after unprotected sex?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At November 2, 2016
Reviewed AtDecember 29, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I had unprotected sex about one and a half month ago. A few days later, I saw a few things that concerned me. So, about a week later, I got tested for all the common STDs and the results came back negative. But, I am still having the same issue, but not as bad as before. I have been having three tiny red bumps like rash that are occasionally itchy and possibly a weird smell. After a while, I assumed it was a yeast infection. I started taking over-the-counter Azo pill and yeast cream, but nothing really is disappearing. Please help me.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • You should apply antifungal ointment for some more time. Also, you may need oral antimicrobials and antifungal.
  • Doxycycline can be tried for two weeks with continuation of ointment. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • You need to treat your partner also or else the infection will come back to you.

For further information consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Patient's Query

Thank you doctor,

What is your opinion regarding my infection? Which specialist doctor should I visit for Doxycycline prescription? Does the visual symptom look bad? Will it disappear completely? What specific brand of antimicrobials and antifungal should I use? I am freaked out a little, because I do not ever use protection.


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • You have tested for commonest sexually transmitted diseases and I hope all are negative.
  • Now, the rash and the smell could be of any of the above fungal or bacterial infection, which may not be detected by tests.
  • I could not find any lesions except very small red tiny bumps and do not think of any significance (attachment removed to protect patient identity). 
  • Since you mentioned that you have taken Azithral (Azithromycin) and antifungal creams and found improvement, I suggested the next level of treatment.
  • Doxycycline will take care of chlamydial infections. You need to consult a venereal disease specialist or your general practitioner.

For further doubts consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair Bhaskaran
Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair Bhaskaran


Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy