Q. Is a furuncle an emergency condition?

I have had a boil under my left armpit since yesterday morning or so. It is reddish and painful, and occasionally I may have felt an itch. I have had these before. I just assumed that they were due to excessive sweating, and would just periodically wash with soap water and these would then just go away the same day. This time it has been there for more than 24 hours. I have been washing with soap water periodically and also been cleaning with Dettol. It still has not gone away. I cannot see any other symptoms. I do have some running and stuffy nose since yesterday, but not sure if it is related to this or weather change. I am attaching some pictures. Hopefully, it can be seen clearly.

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

I went through your post and images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It looks like a furuncle (infected hair follicle). You will have to take antibiotics preferably Amoxicillin Clavulanate (Augmentin 625) and that will solve the issue.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Thank you for your answer. Does it have to be treated urgently? I am at work and would prefer to get it treated and start taking antibiotics from tomorrow if possible. Also, is there anything I can do at home in the interim? I do have antibacterial hand sanitizer, antiseptics, etc. Thanks again.

#

It is not an emergency. You can start antibiotics tomorrow but it is better to start within 24 hours.

A sanitizer will not be of much help though.

You can do a hot fomentation at home twice a day, that will have a soothing effect.

|