Q. My baby is unable to sleep due to colic pain. Please help.

Dr. Aamir Mohd
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 29, 2020

My daughter is 26 days old and suffering from colic pain. She is unable to sleep properly due to this and she will wake up in between sleep and struggle a lot to release gas. She used to sleep peacefully for 5 to 6 hours at a stretch, but now could not sleep even for 1 hour properly. Our pediatrician advised to give Colpep 8 drops day and night, but we did not see any difference in one week. So, he said to give Neopeptine 8 drops day and night 10 minutes after giving Colpep. We are giving this for the 2 days. Still baby is suffering and I am very worried due to this. How long it will take for this to cure? Is it correct to give Colpep and Neopeptine together as both look similar? Also, our pediatrician told to give Neopeptine and Colpep after feeding the baby wherein on Colpep bottle it has written to give 15 minutes before feeding. I am very confused with this. We are also burping our baby after every breastfeed. Please advise if we are giving correct medicine. Also, should I give Colpep before or after a feed? Our pediatrician suggested to give Zincovit drops to baby, which contains vitamin D3. But, we have a separate Vitamin D3 drops. Should we give both or Zincovit is sufficient? Please help and advice to reduce the colic pain and gas trouble. My baby is suffering a lot and I am not able to see her suffering like this. Also, her motion comes in small quantities every time and she releases gas. Is this normal?

#

• First of all, you must understand that babies change their sleeping pattern so quickly. There are lots of reasons for babies not to sleep at night.
  • They usually sleep for one or two hours at a stretch. Colic pain can be one of the reasons.
  • You should either give him Neopeptine or Colpep (Simethicone) and not both. Again, you should give only one vitamin D3 drops.
  • If you want to give Colpep, then give it before giving feed.
  • I would like to tell you a few tips. Do not watch television at night when you make your baby sleep.
  • Make the room dark. Babies sleep in the first three months will get disturbed even with a little noise.
  • In the first six months, babies need every 2 hour feed, so it is completely normal.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|