Q. My 3 month old baby cries every night for about half an hour before she sleeps. Is this normal?

Dr. Sirisha
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 03, 2015 and last reviewed on: Dec 25, 2018

My 3 month old baby cries every night for about half an hour before she sleeps. Is this normal? What might be the reason?

#

This is a common complaint in newborn babies and infants.

1. Is your baby is feeding well and has good weight?
  2. Does she have normal stools and urination?
  3. Is there any other health concern?

The common causes of frequent crying in infants could be the following:

1. The usual cause is tummy pain, which can be relieved with medications like Simethicone. I am not sure if this medication is available over the counter in your place.
  2. Look for an ear infection which causes ear pain.
  3. Any rash in the nappy area which can be irritating.
  4. At any point in time, stools and urination need to be observed, which probably might be unusual in your baby as you are specifically telling that it occurs before she sleeps.

| 

Why the ear pain increased after using prescribed ear drops?

Query: Hello doctor,A few months back, I had ear pain and according to the doctor, I had a fungal infection and got my ear cleansed and prescribed some drops for my ear to be used. As I used those ear drops my ear pain got increased and it turned into a very severe pain that I start feeling that some fluid...  Read Full »

I have crying spells and I get angry easily. Are these symptoms of depression?

Query: Hello doctor, I am going through a mental breakdown. I give up on everything very easily. If I am at home, I tend to cry a lot thinking about my future. I am scared that my future is going to be bad. I try making up myself and getting strong. I get angry immediately and hurt others verbally and the...  Read Full »

I have ear pain after removing ear wax. Is it serious?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from ear pain for the last two days and it has become really serious now. The entire right side of my face has gone numb and I am not able to hear properly in my right ear. I can listen to some hissing sound. I remember cleaning my ear with my fingers and tried to...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»