Q. I wake up with a soreness in my stomach like I have been punched. Is it gastritis?

This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

I have been having a soreness in my stomach like I have been punched when I wake up in the morning. I do not feel it when I touch, but I do feel it when I breathe in. When I get up and start walking around, it goes away fairly quickly. I was diagnosed with gastritis a year ago and have since gotten rid of my nausea and tenderness in my abdomen. All that I am experiencing now is the morning pain.

#

I went through your post.

• You seem to have features of gastritis and you have not mentioned whether you were tested in the past for H.pylori infection which may cause recurrent gastritis.
  • I would suggest you start PPI (Pantoprazole) before breakfast and preferably endoscopy and H.pylori testing. 

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I have been tested twice for H.pylori and tested negative. I had the endoscopy last year. This seems to be the last symptom of this gastritis possibly. I am on Protonix and was told to stop Prilosec, etc. Any other inkling?

#

• Now you mentioned you are negative for H.pylori and you are on Pantoprazole, but you are persisting with a few symptoms.
  • I think in addition to Protonix, you will have to add a prokinetic, preferably in the evening time, because the symptoms are noticed either at night or early in the morning. I suggest you take Levosulpride 25 mg at bedtime. That should help.
  • You will also need to get tested for vitamin-D deficiency because the muscles of the abdominal wall can also cause such symptoms which improve with activity. The most common cause of myalgias is vitamin-D deficiency and hypothyroidism. 

Do I need a prescription for Levosulpride? I have never heard of it.

#

• Levosulpiride is a prokinetic and should not need a prescription. It is an over the counter medicine in most countries.

|