Q. Why do I have dry mouth two months after unprotected oral sex?

Dr. Kakkar
Published on Jul 30, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am writing hoping you can give me a sigh of relief or a little clarity. First, let me start by saying I do have an HIV phobia. However, below will give you a better idea of my story.

Two months back, I had unprotected oral sex with a guy that lasted for about two minutes. He then penetrated me unprotected for about a minute in which I made him put on a condom.

After we were done, he cleaned himself up and penetrated me again for about three minutes. Ten days later, I noticed I had a sore throat and dry cough with a very low temperature and immediately scheduled a visit with my doctor as I was really nervous.

I had a slight fever and asked my doctor to perform an STD test. When I got my results back I tested HSV 2 positive. I thought I was fine as far as those results were concerned.

However, I read that there was a window period that I needed to test. As time went on I started to have a very upset stomach, gassy, bloated and diarrhea. I am also lactose intolerant. So, I suspected that it was from that.

It went away but today I have it again, however, I am taking Penicillin and I heard that this was one of the symptoms. I have a dry mouth which I also heard could be from the Penicillin as well. My period for this month is noticeably lighter than normal which I am freaking out about.

I never got a rash or anything or that I noticed. About a week ago, my husband started having diarrhea with an upset stomach and I noticed a rash on his knee which looks more like a bruise than a rash.

It was red and purple with no bumps and very small but had no other symptoms. I also noticed that I had a small lymph node in the neck (which is the reason I am on the Clindamycin).

I got nervous and decided to go back to the doctor so that she could test me for HIV again and the results were still negative. The lymph node has gotten smaller and stopped hurting, however, I do not see a stone or anything in my mouth that looks like a stone.

Now my mouth is really dry not producing any saliva. This is my biggest concern. I also developed thrush. I have stopped taking any medicines so that I can see which medicine it is. Can you please give me some insight?

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

A fourth generation HIV duo test is considered reliable and conclusive if it is still negative after six weeks.

Most STD (sexually transmitted diseases) specialists consider this six weeks gap as the upper limit of the window period for an HIV duo test result to be considered final.

Since your exposure was two months back and your last HIV duo test was almost eight weeks after exposure, your test result is reliable and conclusive. You do not need to worry about HIV from that particular episode.

For more information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Thank you for your response. In your practice, have you ever seen or heard of anyone test turning positive after six weeks of negative? I am asking because I have a pending test that I am going to pick up today and I am really really nervous at the moment.

Dr. Kakkar

#

No. Never with a fourth generation HIV duo test.

Is unprotected sex on the fifth day of period safe?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex on the fifth day of my last periods and he pulled out on time. It has been 35 days and I have not got my periods. Is there any chance of getting pregnant?  Read Full >>

Dr. Prabha Ranjan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do a pregnancy test with urine pregnancy kit. If it is negative, wait for the period for at least seven to ten days. If the period does not come repeat the test and then think of taking medicine to bring period, not before that. If the pregnancy test is negative, th...  Read Full

Can unprotected sex on third day of period cause pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I and my fiancee had unprotected sex on the third day of her period. I did not ejaculate inside her. And she also has the history of an irregular period but from the past three months, she is getting her regular period. I just want to know what are the chances of pregnancy.  Read Full >>

Dr. Richa Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and understand your concerns. As you had unprotected sex, the chances of pregnancy are there in your case but as it is done on the third day of menses that is why there is no chance of pregnancy in your case. These symptoms could be d...  Read Full

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now