Q. My husband is taking PPI for ten years. Could you please suggest us whether he can stop taking it?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 13, 2021 and last reviewed on: Apr 15, 2021

I am concerned about my husband's health. He is taking PPI medication for ten years now called Omeprazole. We think he has to quit the medication. Could you please recommend to us what to do? How to start? I am also extremely worried about his liver. I know about the damage PPI may cause. He started feeling pain on his right side. He underwent GERD surgery ten years ago.

Kind regards.

#

Well, there are very few indications of lifelong PPI (proton pump inhibitors).

1. Patient has GERD with Barrett's esophagus and premalignant findings such as dysplasia

2. Post fundoplication (GERD surgery) if the patient on follow-up has Barrett's esophagus or evidence of inflammation called esophagitis.

I have to closely look into reports of his surgery and follow-up endoscopy before so I can be able to guide you on what you should do now. It would be entirely unwise to stop medication right away without having this important information.

Barrett's esophagus is a premalignant (before cancer) change in the lining of the lower esophagus.

|