Q. My wife is 33 weeks pregnant and her PP sugar level is 149 mg/dL. How to control it?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
Published on Nov 20, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 21, 2019

My wife is 26 years old. She is 33 weeks pregnant and detected with sugar all of a sudden. Her PP sugar level is 149 mg/dL. Can you suggest how to control it? How early baby can be delivered?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

A single reading of postprandial sugar of 149 mg/dL should not be a reason to worry unless your wife has a family history of diabetes or diabetes in the previous pregnancy. She can do one oral GTT (glucose tolerance test). It is a sugar test done in fasting and every hour after giving glucose orally. If that is fine and if there are no other symptoms of diabetes like increased thirst, frequent urination, or frequent infections, then no dietary modification is needed. Normally baby can be safely delivered after 37 completed weeks (four weeks from now).

If sugar was already tested more than once and found high, simple dietary modifications like avoiding sugars and reducing carbohydrates in diet should suffice.

Is it fine to take Betnesol during 36 weeks of pregnancy with BP, thyroid and diabetes?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 36 weeks pregnant with LMP. My doctor is prescribing me Betnesol. I have thyroid, BP and GD. They are under control. Sugar levels are also under control. I am little worried about Betnesol. My previous baby was a C-section. I had planned normal delivery (for my first) but had to ...  Read Full »

I had pregnancy diabetes. But, why is my sugar level shooting up even after pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, During pregnancy, I checked my sugar levels. It was very high. I consulted a sugar specialist. She gave me Glucophage 500 mg. In the seventh month, I used insulin. The doctor said that it is pregnancy diabetes and after delivery, it will get alright. But after delivery, my sugar ...  Read Full »

What are the diet restrictions for gestational diabetes?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 22 weeks pregnant. It is a dichorionic diamniotic twin pregnancy. Her fasting sugar level is 6.9. The doctor suggested taking insulin injection. Is it safe to take insulin during pregnancy? Could you suggest some tips to follow or any diet recommendations, please? Also, we ...  Read Full »