Q. What is the best treatment available for gum recession?

Dr. Akhil K P

Recently, I noticed a visible gum recession. Ignore black triangles. Got it after orthodontist told me that is due to my nature of teeth shape. I had braces two years ago. I realized the recession when flossing and brushing my teeth. I am wondering if I have overflossed and hurt my gums because it bleeds sometimes too and worried if it is gingivitis. Does mouth wash help? I am considering getting it.

#

Gum recession is caused due to multiple reasons and one of them is gingivitis or periodontitis. The amount of recession as I see in your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is very less and you need not to worry about it at all unless you experience sensitivity issues. There is no sign of any inflammation or infection in your gums and that is not the cause for recession.

The probable cause for this in your case is a faulty tooth brushing which causes constant trauma to the teeth and gums. Applying excessive pressure on your toothbrush while brushing is the most common reason as people usually think this will make the teeth whiter but in fact, it only causes more harm. Following proper tooth brushing techniques will prevent further recession.

Black triangles are caused usually due to deposits in the interdental areas. You can visit a periodontist to get this treated. We have a few options such as laser therapy for papilla regeneration and a few other minor surgical procedures to regrow the lost gums in between the tooth. To correct gum recession also you may ask the periodontist for the treatment options. They are commonly gum grafts, coronally advanced flap therapy, etc., which will bring you back your esthetics. These procedures are not majorly invasive and need not hesitate to get it done. However, if it does not cause you any trouble you need not get any procedures done other than regular scaling and maintaining hygiene. Also, remember to use only a soft toothbrush as hard bristles can cause more trauma and result in a further recession.

|