Q. I often get bad breath with swollen and bleeding gums. How to eradicate this?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 08, 2020

I am facing a bad breath problem. Sometimes gums get swelled and bleeding happens. I do not feel comfortable speaking to someone because of the bad breath issue. What can I do to eradicate this problem?

#

I understand your concern. Gum bleeding, gum swelling, and bad breath are the signs of gum condition called gingivitis. Gingivitis is the inflammation of the gums caused due to constant irritation by tartar or calculus (hardened yellow deposits on the tooth).

Food deposits or plaque that settles on the tooth get calcified in the long run and become hardened calculus deposits. Constantly irritated gums become weak and start to bleed when we brush or in the morning time after waking up.

A professional scaling and polishing procedure is done by an ultrasonic scaler instrument to remove that calculus. Once removed, the gums take a day to heal and the gum bleeding and gum swelling will resolve the next morning. You will also see an improvement in your bad breath issue. Please visit your dentist and get this procedure done. This procedure can be done once in six months if required. Although we do a proper brushing every day, there are certain spots between teeth where the bristles fail to reach. Hence a professional tooth cleaning is always advised once in a while. There are certain brushing techniques that can be followed to prevent calculus accumulation. Get to know that from your dentist and please do follow them. And you should start cleaning the tongue with a tongue cleaner or by using the back of the brush. This will be effective in reducing the bad breath issue.

| 

My lower teeth gum color varies. Please clarify if I have gingivitis.

Query: Hi doctor, I do not know if I have gingivitis. The gums of my front teeth in the lower jaw have a small hint of pale pink. But, on the right side, it shows a hint of a darker pink. Also, my teeth look larger on the back side. Is that normal? Please help me.  Read Full »

What can be done for spongy bleeding gums in a diabetic?

Query: Hello doctor, My parents are diabetic and living in a village where non-treated water is consumed daily for everything other than drinking which is rich in minerals, algal blooms, dirt, etc. Suggest me a toothpaste which is better considering this kind of locality. Their gums are bleeding and exper...  Read Full »

My gums are itchy after using mouthwash. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My gums are itchy after eating. I used mouthwash. After using it, I usually rinse my mouth with water. I started to have a burning sensation in my gums after using mouthwash. But still, my gums are itchy.  Read Full »