Q. I feel like a hair is stuck in my throat. Will this globus sensation go away?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

As I was trimming my beard, I accidentally swallowed a piece of hair. This incident happened two days ago, it is not painful, but I can feel it in my throat. Should I wait or try some sort of home treatment or ask a professional to examine my throat?

#

It is improbable that the strand of hair is still stuck in the throat. In most cases, it is psychological and gives a foreign body sensation what we call globus hystericus. I would advise you to have a few bananas, which will help push down any strand of hair stuck in the throat. Besides, you can also do saltwater gargles 8 to 10 times a day for five days. My suggestion to you would be to wait for a couple of days as it is doubtful that the strand of hair is the one causing the foreign body sensation. Examination through an endoscope will invariably be standard. I will also want to know if you have been having any gastric issues, as a "silent" GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) that can also present itself with a foreign body sensation. There is absolutely nothing to worry about, as this is a very common entity. I am sure that once you follow the advice given above, this will subside, and things will be back to normal in a couple of days.

|