Q. How to manage chronic granular pharyngitis?

Dr. Syed Tehmid

I have had a sore throat for three years. It does not go away. It started as a tonsil infection. Now I do not get tonsil infections so much, but behind the tonsil, I have a sore bump that pains and sometimes has a white coating. I have trouble swallowing, and it hurts when I drink water. I have lost five kilograms of weight in the last two months. I recently had a burning sensation in my stomach, for which I took antacid and allergy medicines. I have taken an antibiotics course four to five times this year and took steroids once. I have gotten CBC, SGOT, SGPT, HIV, and blood glucose tests done, the results of which have been normal. My primary doctors are not taking this seriously. Kindly advise.

#

The picture of your throat suggests granular pharyngitis. Chronic irritation of the pharynx, either from recurrent nose or sinus infections or from reflux, can give rise to such an issue. Now since it is an irritation of chronic nature, it often tends to stay, and its treatment can be difficult. You need to take care of allergies or reflux. I suggest using soothing lozenges as required, as well as antihistamines, proton pump inhibitors, or antacids if you have reflux.

How long will it take to cure, or will it be the same forever? Please mention any medication that would help cure the inflammation. Will the appearance of my throat remain the same forever?

#

Well, the appearance of the throat does not have much significance. Even in normal individuals, we can have granulations over the throat. What is important is symptom control. As I told you, it can be recalcitrant, but that does not mean it will not go away. What is needed is a dietary and lifestyle modification. Avoid heavy and fatty meals at night. Avoid grassy oily processed, fried foods, beverages, and cold drinks. A more active lifestyle is needed. Further antihistamines, soothing lozenges and syrups, and proton pump inhibitors will help if you have acid reflux.

|