Q. Is it safe to use Norditropin Nordilet, in a 10-year-old boy with delayed physical growth?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
Published on Sep 03, 2019

It is about my son's health. He is a little over 10 years. At the birth, he had difficulty in receiving oxygen, and ever since he has had occasional seizures and developmental delay in learning. He can walk, talk, and eat like any other normal kid. The problems he has currently are delayed physical growth (height-he is a foot shorter for his age), severely delayed learning skills (difficulty in learning alphabets) and very mild seizures, with occasional rolling of eyes.

Only current medication being used is for seizures. A recent doctor visit subjected our family to some agitation. The doctor suggested 1 mg per day of Norditropin Nordilet meant for improving human growth hormone.

Now my questions are related to using Norditropin Nordilet,

1) From the information I gathered, it is mostly used by bodybuilders and who are in desperate need of being tall. Will it have any negative impact on my kid, if I start using it because he already has problems such as seizures and developmental delay. Our worry is this injection might interfere with seizure issues he already has. If my kid is ok with being short, can we avoid using this injection?

Question is should we use this Norditropin Nordilet or not?

2) Are there any other alternative approach (including suggestions from alternative medicine) for improvement of human growth hormone. I searched for some information, but not confident in applying them.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics
#

The issue is straight forward, and we need to rule out common causes of short height in the first instance. These include nutritional, familial (may be constitutional) or due to anemia or celiac disease. These kinds of medicines to be used very cautiously, these may lead to hypertension and marrow suppression in some cases and affect pubertal changes as well.

My advice will be not to take such medicines and to get done hemogram profile and TTGA (tissue transglutaminase) to rule out celiac disease and TFT (thyroid function test) to rule out a thyroid disorder. We should take care of his seizures, and occasional seizures also cause hamper of development. So kindly provide details of medicines you are using.

1. Nutritional.
2. Celiac disease.
3. Hypothyroidism.

1. CBC(complete blood profile).
2. TTGA.
3. Thyroid function test (T3, T4, TSH).

Get done the advised investigations and report back, I hope we can overcome this problem in simple ways.

Give him a nutritious diet, and make a diet chart so that we can calculate calorie consumption by him.

Report back with details of family height at same age and investigation report as well diet chart whatever he ages in next few days. And also provide the details of the MRI if done and drugs for epilepsy.

| 

The 25th week pregnancy scan showed oligohydramnios and IUGR. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 31 weeks and two days pregnant. I had an ultrasound at 20 weeks, and everything was normal. However, with time, I noticed there was little or no movement, and the baby's movement was more like a ball rolling in a difficult position. So, my doctor sent me for an ultrasound at the thir...  Read Full »

Is Foracort inhaler safe?

Query: Hi doctor,I am suffering from bronchitis. Should I use Foracort inhaler before or after the workout? Does Foracort inhaler cleanse the lungs? How does Foracort work on lungs? What are the side effects?  Read Full »

Will IGF-1 go down to normal after stopping growth hormone replacement therapy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20-year-old man who has used growth hormone replacement therapy, Somatropin, for a year to combat asthma. I made an error in my original dosing and now have learned I have been overdosing (approximately 20 mg per week). Three weeks ago, I started to feel fatigued. I could not c...  Read Full »