Q. Am I in trouble with 20% gum bone loss at the age of 45?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Dec 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I was told that my gums are fine with most of them at level 3 and a few in level 4. One doctor said that I have some bone loss, but there is no big deal. Another qualified dentist said that bone loss is 20%. Now, I am scared. Am I in trouble with 20% bone loss at the age 45? I have a previous history of grinding teeth and was on night guard for that. I am currently on Synthyroid for my thyroid problem.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

• The amount of bone loss that is 20% is not alarming at 45 years of age. It is routinely seen in patients at this age.
  • There is no need to worry as it does not mean that the tooth will fall off soon.
  • Try to maintain the current level by using a warm salt water gargle twice a day or as much as possible or even a mouthwash solution will help.
  • Go for routine checkup once in every six months and get your teeth cleaned to maintain good oral hygiene.
  • The x-ray would have been more helpful for me to give a better diagnosis. Kindly watch out for loose teeth and show to your dentist.

For further information consult a periodontist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/periodontist

My Teeth Are Yellow.Is Scaling Only A Temporary Process To Clean The Teeth?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am 19 years old. My teeth are yellow from childhood (from 10 years of age). A black layer is formed at the backside of teeth. When I see my teeth it seems very dirty and too much of creamy layer is formed on my teeth especially in lower canines and lower incisors. In the lower teeth...  Read Full >>

Dr. Subha
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yellowing of teeth is mainly due to one of the following or a combination of these: Tartar or plaque deposits (soft yellowish deposits) on the teeth. Calculus deposits (calcified hard deposits) on the teeth. Fluorosis - internal discoloration of the teeth due to ...  Read Full

Kindly give some insight on how everyday habits affect the teeth.

Query: Hi doctor, What are the everyday habits that could affect our teeth? I want to get some insight on how certain practices such as smoking, biting nail, opening things with the mouth, etc., affect the teeth.  Read Full >>

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Smoking adversely affects the gum health as the gum disease becomes less apparent in smokers and they show symptoms once the condition becomes severe. Secondly, it can cause pigmentation leading to smoker's melanosis (brown to black pigmentation of gums). Other ill effe...  Read Full

I swallowed Povidone iodine mouthwash by mistake. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old. I drank Povidone-iodine germicide gargle 10 ml in the morning and 10 ml in the afternoon. Will it affect my health as I am suffering from gastritis? I am also taking other medicines for acid reflux and my other question is that I feel a burning sensation in my left...  Read Full >>

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Betadine (Povidone-Iodine 10 %) has been used as an external disinfectant prior to surgery for years. The active antimicrobial agent is iodine and is necessary for thyroid hormone synthesis. Excess iodine will be filtered out by the normal kidneys. Povidone is a common...  Read Full

Ask a Periodontist Now