Q. Am I in trouble with 20% gum bone loss at the age of 45?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I was told that my gums are fine with most of them at level 3 and a few in level 4. One doctor said that I have some bone loss, but there is no big deal. Another qualified dentist said that bone loss is 20%. Now, I am scared. Am I in trouble with 20% bone loss at the age 45? I have a previous history of grinding teeth and was on night guard for that. I am currently on Synthyroid for my thyroid problem.

#

• The amount of bone loss that is 20% is not alarming at 45 years of age. It is routinely seen in patients at this age.
  • There is no need to worry as it does not mean that the tooth will fall off soon.
  • Try to maintain the current level by using a warm salt water gargle twice a day or as much as possible or even a mouthwash solution will help.
  • Go for routine checkup once in every six months and get your teeth cleaned to maintain good oral hygiene.
  • The x-ray would have been more helpful for me to give a better diagnosis. Kindly watch out for loose teeth and show to your dentist.

For further information consult a periodontist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/periodontist

|