Q. I am losing 15-20 strands of hair daily with thinning and dandruff problem. Please help.

Dr. Suvina Attavar
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 24, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 04, 2020

I am a 21-year-old male. I am losing like 15-20 hair strands on a daily basis now. For the last nine months, I am facing this problem. I never had this type of hair fall or any hair fall before. Where I stay, there was hard water, so I started using drinking water for bathing. A few months later, I got to see some less hair fall than before which is around 30 hair strands a day. So now I cannot have my previous hairstyle and I can see some small patches in my crown corner. But the thing is that I do not think my new hair is growing vigorously. I got worried when I see four to five strands in my pillow cover every morning and most importantly my hairs are thin which falls and some dandruff problems nowadays. As I got no family history in baldness, I am so anxious about this issue. Please help.

Dr. Suvina Attavar

Dermatology Venereology
#

Hair fall can mainly be divided into two types, you can have increased shedding or thinning of hair. Increased shedding means seeing more than 50-100 hairs falling per day. Less than that is a normal hair fall cycle and usually grows back. Increased shedding can happen because of dietary deficiencies, stress, high fever, water change, harsh shampoos, dandruff. Since you are noticing patches of emptiness most likely it is thinning or male pattern baldness. This can happen due to genetics and male hormone testosterone acting on the roots.

Smoking, thyroid issues, and consuming whey protein can accelerate it. By genetics, it need not necessarily mean your father or mother, it could be uncles or grandparents as well. Minoxidil is the treatment of choice for patterned balding. Also, checking up for deficiencies like serum ferritin, vitamin D, and B12 and TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) will help. Photographs are needed to exactly identify if you are having patterned balding and accordingly treatment can be started.

| 

Is it safe to use Minoxidil continuously for male pattern baldness?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from male pattern baldness along with dandruff. Because of dandruff, I keep on itching my scalp. I consulted a doctor, and she recommended me to use Betamethasone dipropionate and Zinc sulphate lotion along with Adgain capsule and a mild medicated shampoo. I used these prod...  Read Full »

How to control thinning of hair with semi-bald spots on head due to dandruff?

Query: Hello doctor, I am beginning to have a semi-bald spot in an area around my scalp. I have had ongoing dandruff issues for around two to three years now. I used to scratch my scalp vigorously to get rid of dandruff. I have stopped doing so ever since I have noticed that my hair is thinning. Also, I...  Read Full »

Initially Minoxidil helped me in growing hair, but not now. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I am using Minoxidil for nine months now for the bald patches on my head. A little progress was seen between 3 to 4 months but no progress recorded afterwards. Can you suggest me what is wrong or if I should change my prescription?  Read Full »