Q. Can I consume nutritional shake for weight loss if I am on thyroid pills?

Dr. Koushik Mukherjee

I am having thyroid issues of Hashimoto's type. Is it good for me to consume a nutritional shake for weight loss in my daily diet without stopping my thyroid hormone pills?

#

You have said that you are taking 200 micrograms of Thyronorm (Levothyroxine) and your last TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) was 0.01.

You are going to a state called iatrogenic hyperthyroidism. I suggest you reduce the dose of Thyronorm. You can reduce by 25 micrograms. Generally, our target is within the lower half of the reference range for TSH which is approximately within 2 to 2.5. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and reduce the dosage with their consent.

I suggest you do an FT4, and TSH repeat test after four weeks.

And about the herbal supplement, as far as it does not interact with thyroid formulation, it is safe to take. But, you have to keep in mind that herbal formulations can contain drugs that did not undergo randomized controlled studies. So, it is better to avoid them.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

|