Q. Can I consume nutritional shake for weight loss if I am on thyroid pills?

Dr. Koushik Mukherjee

I am having thyroid issues of Hashimoto's type. Is it good for me to consume a nutritional shake for weight loss in my daily diet without stopping my thyroid hormone pills?

#

You have said that you are taking 200 micrograms of Thyronorm (Levothyroxine) and your last TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) was 0.01.

You are going to a state called iatrogenic hyperthyroidism. I suggest you reduce the dose of Thyronorm. You can reduce by 25 micrograms. Generally, our target is within the lower half of the reference range for TSH which is approximately within 2 to 2.5. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and reduce the dosage with their consent.

I suggest you do an FT4, and TSH repeat test after four weeks.

And about the herbal supplement, as far as it does not interact with thyroid formulation, it is safe to take. But, you have to keep in mind that herbal formulations can contain drugs that did not undergo randomized controlled studies. So, it is better to avoid them.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

TSH and TGAB are high. Could this be Hashimoto's disease or cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have done all thyroid tests and worried about the results.TSH is high at 4.56 milli international units per liter and thyroglobulin antibodies were high 2.8 IU/mL. TOP, T3, and T4 were normal; TPO 14 IU/mL and T4 free 0.95ng/dl. I am having throat pain and I feel like my glands are swo...  Read Full »

I have weight loss due to digestion issues. How to gain the weight back?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from digestion issues, mostly bloating, from more than seven months. While taking medicines, I was feeling fine, and once I stopped them, my symptoms recurred. My present symptoms include indigestion, constipation, improper motions, low appetite, weight loss, inabilit...  Read Full »

I am suffering from hypothyroidism and taking eltroxin and thyronorm. But cholesterol is raising. What to do?

Query: Hello, I am suffering from hypothyroidism and taking eltroxin and thyronorm. But cholesterol level is raising. What to do? Age - 46 years, female. Height-160cm. Weight - 58kg  Read Full »

What should I take to relieve Flagyl induced constipation?
Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I am trying to overcome constipation caused by the Flagyl antibiotic, and I do...  Read more»
How long should my dad continue the same dosage of medicines after a stent surgery?
Hello doctor, My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is u...  Read more»

Ask a Family Physician Now