Q. How long do I have to wait to get pregnant, after a missed abortion?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am trying to conceive from past six years. A year back I had a laparoscopy for tube bend. My reports show the length of the uterus is 82 mm. Gravid uterus reveals one gestational sac with an embryo, CRL is 10 mm, which corresponds to the gestational age of seven weeks and six days in the fundal region of the uterine cavity. No cardiac pulsation could be recorded on M mode, the cervix is normal, uterus measures 9.4x6.9x6.8 cm. No adnexal mass lesion is seen. Both ovaries are normal in size and echotexture. Right ovary is 2.3x2.1 cm, and left ovary is 2.4x1.9 cm. No fluid is seen in the pouch of Douglas. What is the reason for a missed abortion? How long should I have to wait for the next pregnancy?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Sorry about the loss, but let me assure you one thing, you will surely get pregnant again. It is not just to console you, but if you got pregnant before, irrespective of the result, you will get pregnant again. Let me explain what and why is missed abortion.

A healthy egg has to meet a healthy sperm at the right time, the life of an egg is 24 hours, so it has to meet sperm within that time. But after 24 hours, it forms embryo with few chromosome damage.

This fertilized egg comes to the uterus, endometrium should have been properly ripened and nurtured by proper hormones on right time, only then the blood supply to the baby will be normal, and the hormonal milieu should be fine.

The best part is, if you have a missed abortion, chances of a healthy pregnancy is 97 %. So, why worry about the 3 %?

It is advisable to give a gap of three months. Suppose there are any unseen reasons, they will be gone by that time. After 3 to 4 months get, these tests done, to rule out other possible causes.

1. Uncontrolled diabetes, check your fasting and postprandial blood sugar level.
  2. Uterine fibroids or polyps, get a scan of the pelvis.
  3. Thyroid profile and serum prolactin.
  4. PTT test, to check problems interfering normal blood flow to the baby, called as antiphospholipid antibody syndrome.

All these problems can be tested before pregnancy, the last one to be tested once pregnant.

How old are you? If you are below 35 years, nothing needs to be done. If you are above 35 years, get serum AMH (anti-mullerian hormone) done within first ten days of your period. This will tell how many eggs are left in the ovaries.

As age advances, the healthy eggs get over, and only unhealthy eggs predominate, so that could be a reason for the genetic problem. But there is a solution for each and every problem that I mentioned.

Hope I have clarified your doubt.

For more information consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

|